Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm 22 years old and wanting to study at University. For the past two years, I have been out of education as I have not been sure about what I wanted to study. In 2013 I completed an Access course to allow me to go to University, however I chickened out at the last minute. Since then, I have thought about studying Computers but this would mean I would need to take another Access course, which I would be unable to do until next September.

In the meantime, I am basically waiting around for this to come and I feel as if I am just wasting my life away by not doing anything. I could have gone to university years ago and now that I will be at least 23/24 before I do go, I feel as though I am somewhat behind everybody else. Therefore, I am wondering what I should do.

ReputationRep:
    There are people who get back into education at the age of 27 and higher. You still have a long life ahead of you and you can study. So, I wish you the best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    As I have always thought and stick by, its better late than never.
    If I was you I would read up in depth and by using YouTube videos all the information you can find out about the topic you would like to study. This will put you in good stead. if its computing you're interested in you may want to look at Code Academy - showed me how programming works, which is really interesting!

(Original post by Bocicowo)
    I feel as though I am somewhat behind everybody else.
    Sometimes I feel like that, but ruminating over your perceived lack of progress - specifically, comparing what you are doing to what other people are doing - really isn't helpful and I would advise against it. You can't really look at one relatively small area of someone's life and compare it to yours (in this case attending university) and draw any informative conclusions.

It may be more useful to examine why you chickened out just before the start of the Access course. What do you feel is stopping you from starting something? Are you unsure about how interested you are in the area? If it's something you want to begin (or continue) a career in?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.