How Do You Learn New Vocabulary/Words

Watch
Warrior Gene
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Kindly share how do you people learn to use new words in your speech or writing. How does one memorize them permanently, so that you do not forget it later? Any tips?
Chicken Bacon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Encounter new word > Google definition > Judge if you like the sound of the word > Use it.
Vicky628
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Read more, especially classics

Google the definition, and write it down somewhere
Warrior Gene
Rep:
?
Yes but how does one memorize it permanently, so that it can be used whenever a person likes. Are there any tips to memorize new words or phrases and remember the use of them permanently? Even if I learn a new word I forget it after sometime, and while writing even if I think hard, I usually cant remember the word so instead of using complex or technical vocabulary, I just write simple plain english.
Viva Emptiness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Whenever I hear a new word, I try to use it in any sentence I can whether it makes sense or not. Using big words impresses people regardless.
smartguy32
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
once you learn the word say soporific for example whcih means tending to induce drowsiness or sleep, try to use it in at least in one sentence that day like "that lecture was quite soporific!" and if you try to use often enough it will just become another part of your vocabulary. This was a tip from Jameomills on youtube and it worked quite well for me.
Warrior Gene
Rep:
?
thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
22.61%
Excited but a bit nervous (127)
44.88%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.72%
I'm really nervous (56)
19.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise