Turn on thread page Beta

Birthday presents from boyfriend watch

Announcements

How would you guys react/feel if you bought your boyfriend an expensive gift and he didn't put as much effort when your birthday came around as you put in his?

Is it a big deal or would you just ignore it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    How would you guys react/feel if you bought your boyfriend an expensive gift and he didn't put as much effort when your birthday came around as you put in his?

Is it a big deal or would you just ignore it?
    Does this assume he has the disposable income to spend as much?

ReputationRep:
    It would depend.
    If the relationship was otherwise great and he clearly cared then I think it would be shallow to be annoyed over a gift. However if it was a sign of a bigger problem then I would be annoyed at the problem in general as opposed to just the gift. Some people just don't think birthday's are that important, or maybe he was particularly stressed or low on money for whatever reason (which you may not have known).

If it is bothering you that much talk to him about it, otherwise you're just going to become bitter and it'll eventually make the relationship crumble one way or another.

"Does this assume he has the disposable income to spend as much?"
    No, this misses the point completely. I really love a girl in my class at School and would love to be with her; If I ever though that she would say yes if I asked her, I wouldn't insult her by giving her something cheap or something awful, even if I didn't have a large income (which luckily I do), I would do any job/anything necessary to get that money because I would want her to see that I value her and would do anything for her, and a guy with no money is a pretty big turn off to most (at least the normal one's) girls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    "Does this assume he has the disposable income to spend as much?"
    No, this misses the point completely. I really love a girl in my class at School and would love to be with her; If I ever though that she would say yes if I asked her, I wouldn't insult her by giving her something cheap or something awful, even if I didn't have a large income (which luckily I do), I would do any job/anything necessary to get that money because I would want her to see that I value her and would do anything for her, and a guy with no money is a pretty big turn off to most (at least the normal one's) girls.
    So girls who don't care about money aren't normal? ...Okay.

I see from your post you are still in school and as such probably haven't had to deal with real life stresses yet. It's not always as simple as just doing any job to be able to buy someone an expensive gifts. Adults have monetary responsibilities, and sometimes despite having a full time job cannot afford to buy such things.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 9, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.