Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

In the UK (Specifically, Scotland), can you get "majors" and "minors" like in the US? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I ask because I want to do Engineering and Science but I'm not sure if you can do One "major" subject" and one "minor" optional subject, like in the US.

If not, is the only way to do both subjects to go back to university to do science/engineering separately? That would be rather costly, but is it the only way?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I am aware there is nothing exactly like the US system in the UK. However some universities (particularly Scottish universities) do offer split degrees. So for example physics + maths. In fact my sister took physics, maths and astronomy at Glasgow university. How much of the course is reserved for each subject will vary, so it is best to look on the university websites.

ReputationRep:
    Are you from the US? You don't do majors and minors like that over here but you can do a degree in two subjects at the same time. You could probably do a degree in (a) science and engineering at the same time, depends on the university and what science you want to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by re4trfe)
    Are you from the US? You don't do majors and minors like that over here but you can do a degree in two subjects at the same time. You could probably do a degree in (a) science and engineering at the same time, depends on the university and what science you want to do
    No, I'm from Scotland but I've been reading up on the US education system, and wondered if it's the same here as it is there.

Thanks for the information, I'll go check out the websites.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can, although it is only done at a few universities. Uni of Liverpool does majors and minors exactly the same way as the American system, check them out.

http://www.liv.ac.uk/study/undergrad...onours-select/

ReputationRep:
    At chester uni you can combine most subjects and have one which is your main choice so like a major idk about other unis but yeah!

ReputationRep:
    Scottish universities, particularly the ancient ones, do have a reputation for "breadth of knowledge". So in your first two years, as well as your degree subject you'll study 2-3 other subjects outwith your discipline. It's not exactly like the major-minor thing, but it does allow you to try different things and its pretty easy to change your degree if you end up preferring one of them.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.