Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is something I really should be able to do by now, but I've never fully got to grips with it. What do I do? I know it should be roughly +460kjmol^-1Name:  image.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  289.6 KB
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by The Wavefunction)
    This is something I really should be able to do by now, but I've never fully got to grips with it. What do I do? I know it should be roughly +460kjmol^-1Name:  image.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  289.6 KB
    Is that the answer which was given or did you calculate the enthalpy? if you calculated, could I have a look on your calculation, please?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    Is that the answer which was given or did you calculate the enthalpy? if you calculated, could I have a look on your calculation, please?
    Do you know the definition of enthalpy of formation?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by charco)
    Do you know the definition of enthalpy of formation?
    Do you mean the kind of enthalpy where the conditions are standard, so 25 °C (298,15 K) and 1013 kPa? is that right?

ReputationRep:
    Wikipedia states that the value is +460kjmol^-1.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wikipedia states that the value is +460kjmol^-1.
    I have got +466 kjmol^-1:

E = E(S-N) + E(S=N) - E(S4N4) = 226 kjmol^-1 + 328 kjmol^-1 - 88 kjmol^-1 = 466 kjmol^-1

This result is very close to Wikipedia's given value. Seems to be plausible, as S4N4 consists of S-N and S=N bonds.

ReputationRep:
    I have got +466 kjmol^-1:

E = E(S-N) + E(S=N) - E(S4N4) = 226 kjmol^-1 + 328 kjmol^-1 - 88 kjmol^-1 = 466 kjmol^-1

This result is very close to Wikipedia's given value. Seems to be plausible, as S4N4 consists of S-N and S=N bonds.
    Wouldn't you have to take into account the number of S=N bonds and S-N bonds?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Do you mean the kind of enthalpy where the conditions are standard, so 25 °C (298,15 K) and 1013 kPa? is that right?
    No.

I mean that the enthalpy of formation is the energy change when 1 mol of a substance is formed from its constituent elements in the standard states.

While bond enthalpy terms are always from molecules in the gaseous state.

Hence you must take into account the enthalpy of vapourisation of sulphur etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    No.

I mean that the enthalpy of formation is the energy change when 1 mol of a substance is formed from its constituent elements in the standard states.

While bond enthalpy terms are always from molecules in the gaseous state.

Hence you must take into account the enthalpy of vapourisation of sulphur etc.
    You seem to be pretty clued up on this, any idea what I do?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    You seem to be pretty clued up on this, any idea what I do?
    You write an equation for the formation of your product. From the elements (A) in their standard states to the product (B).

You can then use the enthalpy of vapourisation to get everything into gas that needs to be.

Then you construct an energy cycle to get from A to B in your equation.

The sum of the steps from A to B is always the same no matter what route you take (Hess).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 8, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.