Turn on thread page Beta

What does it mean by "How much weight do you give the evidence of Source X....." watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently stuck on this WHOLE question:

How much weight do you do you give the evidence of Source 2 for an enquiry into public attitudes to the media in the 1950s?

Source 2:
    In 1981, the Federal Communications Commission chief Newton Minow addressed the the National Association of Broadcasters. Here he speaks of frequent predictability and sameness in programming.

"

"When television is good, nothing — not the theater, not the magazines or newspapers — nothing is better.But when television is bad, nothing is worse. I invite each of you to sit down in front of your own television set when your station goes on the air and stay there, for a day, without a book, without a magazine, without a newspaper, without a profit and loss sheet or a rating book to distract you. Keep your eyes glued to that set until the station signs off. I can assure you that what you will observe is a vast wasteland.You will see a procession of game shows, formula comedies about totally unbelievable families, blood and thunder, mayhem, violence, sadism, murder, western bad men, western good men, private eyes, gangsters, more violence, and cartoons. And endlessly commercials — many screaming, cajoling, and offending. And most of all, boredom. "

ReputationRep:
    Well, it's not much, but going from my experience in GCSE History, in which we were asked vaguely similar questions, they want you to look at the source and say "This evidence is v strong because..." or "This evidence is pathetically weak because" or something along those lines, followed by an essay, or whatever is necessary (I don't know how many marks this is worth) In your case, you might bring into consideration:
    1. Who is addressing whom (i.e. would they have a reason for speaking as they did, what is the context, are they someone with first-hand experience, someone with the data showing their statement to be correct, or just someone there to sensationalise?)
    2. Stripping away the elegance of the speech, just what are they saying? Do you have reason to believe or not believe it?
    I hope that helps

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.