Turn on thread page Beta

Referencing - do you reference the same source twice? watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I've writing an essay and in one paragraph, I'm talking about two lines of evidence for conditions required for life on Mars and source for both is a single paper. Do I reference the paper twice (in the text body), once after each line of evidence, or would I only mention it once at the end of the paragraph? My concern is that I've written a few sentences about each so it might not be obvious if I only reference it once, but it looks strange if I'm referencing the same thing twice so close together.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    I've writing an essay and in one paragraph, I'm talking about two lines of evidence for conditions required for life on Mars and source for both is a single paper. Do I reference the paper twice (in the text body), once after each line of evidence, or would I only mention it once at the end of the paragraph? My concern is that I've written a few sentences about each so it might not be obvious if I only reference it once, but it looks strange if I'm referencing the same thing twice so close together.
    I've always done reference the first time, then don't mention the second if it's immediately after. If you use another source in between, reference again.

Fish is good (Bob, 2006). Fish live in the sea (Bob again, but we don't need to include this). Fish don't have legs (Sam, 1990). Fish have fins (Bob, 2006).
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    One reference after each line of evidence so it's clearer I think
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Okay, thanks!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    What kind of referencing are you using? If it's Harvard, you can just put ibid at the second reference if it's the same as the previous one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    What kind of referencing are you using? If it's Harvard, you can just put ibid at the second reference if it's the same as the previous one.
    Just about to comment this! You can also use ibid to reference a source you've used further before also, for example:

1. JK Rowling
    2. Charles Darwin
    3. ibid. see reference 1
    4. Charles Dickens

Sorry for the rudimentary example but hopefully you get the point

See here for much better explanation
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    (Original post by antigone-)
    Just about to comment this! You can also use ibid to reference a source you've used further before also, for example:

1. JK Rowling
    2. Charles Darwin
    3. ibid. see reference 1
    4. Charles Dickens

Sorry for the rudimentary example but hopefully you get the point

See here for much better explanation
    Thanks! That's very useful!

ReputationRep:
    You can also express the reference in a slightly different way so it seems less 'clunky':

Fish are small (Bob 2006). The sea is big (Sam 1990) so Bob draws the conclusion (2006) that there are lots of fish.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the system used at your uni - the issue should be covered in your uni's referencing guide if they have one. At my undergrad uni we used a tailored version of Harvard. To confuse the issue, the guidelines advised the use of ibid for repeat references to the same source. However a few lecturers advised against using it as it was "old fashioned" and four years later the guidelines don't mention ibid at all.

Personally, I always prefer to reference each statement individually where the appropriate guide permits. I tend to shuffle things around quite a lot as I edit, and using ibid occasionally left me with "orphaned" statements referenced as ibid when I'd separated them from the original preceding statement. If you're going to use ibid, I'd suggest referencing statements individually and going through the text to substitute ibid as one of your final edits.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.