Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What's wrong with calling people "sluts" or "whores"? watch

Announcements

Or man sluts or man whores? Provided the term is used equally why is it such a big deal

I have been called similar terms but it doesn't bother me because I am confident in my choices and have only slept with a few people. In the end the meaning behind the word varies so it would only hurt if you actually behaved in that way.

Why is "slut shaming" or shaming men who do this a big deal too? Often sleeping around does have consequences like transmitting STDs and if someone doesn't want to be with someone who's slept around that's their choice. Or it may show a casual attitude to sex and lack of emotional bonding that someone may want in a long term relationship

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Or man sluts or man whores? Provided the term is used equally why is it such a big deal

I have been called similar terms but it doesn't bother me because I am confident in my choices and have only slept with a few people. In the end the meaning behind the word varies so it would only hurt if you actually behaved in that way.

Why is "slut shaming" or shaming men who do this a big deal too? Often sleeping around does have consequences like transmitting STDs and if someone doesn't want to be with someone who's slept around that's their choice. Or it may show a casual attitude to sex and lack of emotional bonding that someone may want in a long term relationship
    That's a big "provided", women still get way, way more abuse for promiscuity than men.

Because they are perjorative terms. It's generally an insult. So it's ok to hurt people who have slept with more people?

I guess because people want to be in a free country, where people don't get judged for actions that don't hurt others. Most people wouldn't consider just not wanting to be with someone who slept around slut shaming, giving someone abuse for their lifestyle is slut shaming.

(Original post by Mankytoes)
    That's a big "provided", women still get way, way more abuse for promiscuity than men.

Because they are perjorative terms. It's generally an insult. So it's ok to hurt people who have slept with more people?

I guess because people want to be in a free country, where people don't get judged for actions that don't hurt others. Most people wouldn't consider just not wanting to be with someone who slept around slut shaming, giving someone abuse for their lifestyle is slut shaming.
    But what if it's equal? I have been "slut shamed" as said in the OP?

Sometimes I think the term is justified. For example, people who enter a friendship group and immediately sleep around and use sexuality to destroy friendships or cause rifts between them (I know a lot of the girls who are "one of the lads" and do this) or get what they want.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a problem with that.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, why pose this question anonymously. Then, these terms are particularly offensive when used for women. Pejorative when it's just about normal sexual behaviour and the right of women to have sex with whom and when they choose without being insulted - ie just like men.

(Original post by Zarek)
    Firstly, why pose this question anonymously. Then, these terms are particularly offensive when used for women. Pejorative when it's just about normal sexual behaviour and the right of women to have sex with whom and when they choose without being insulted - ie just like men.
    I know people on TSR I thought that was the purpose of anon? Sorry I am not familiar with all the rules

I can see the "feminist" argument but suppose we apply the terms equally

People who sleep around do often hurt others, like the example I gave above. Or they lie about their "number" and then their partner doesn't think they have STDs and they end up catching something. Not everyone is open and honest when they sleep around

ReputationRep:
    Why is it anyones business to keep a tally on the number of sexual pursuits of another person, then call them out on it in an insulting way? Herein lies the issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous;[url="tel:60467803")
    60467803[/url]]I know people on TSR I thought that was the purpose of anon? Sorry I am not familiar with all the rules

I can see the "feminist" argument but suppose we apply the terms equally

People who sleep around do often hurt others, like the example I gave above. Or they lie about their "number" and then their partner doesn't think they have STDs and they end up catching something. Not everyone is open and honest when they sleep around
    So, most good things in life have a degree of risk. No one forces anyone to have sex with anyone else. We can all do our own risk assessments. And surprise surprise a lot of people choose to have sex, and the world doesn't end. Avoid these very offensive terms.

ReputationRep:
    It's not right to call someone that when they're NOT someone who is promiscuous.

And it's not ok to say to their face in a rude way (maybe just me idk)

ReputationRep:
    But what if it's equal? I have been "slut shamed" as said in the OP?

Sometimes I think the term is justified. For example, people who enter a friendship group and immediately sleep around and use sexuality to destroy friendships or cause rifts between them (I know a lot of the girls who are "one of the lads" and do this) or get what they want.
    But it isn't equal. Some men get slut shamed, but it's tiny compared to the number of women. Men are more likely to get slut praised. I've never heard "man whore" used as a serious insult, in the way women get called whores.

If someone is cheating, manipulating, taking advantage of people, I don't mind the phrases, but slut usually just means a woman who shags a lot of guys.

ReputationRep:
    The whole argument rests on whether it's okay to insult someone, regardless of gender, based on their level of sexual activity, which it's not. So no, it's not okay at all.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    1. It's an insult designed to hurt people's feelings unnecessarily
    2. It tries to make people feel bad about something that they oughtn't to have to feel bad about
    3. It perpetuates a harmful cultural norm where people feel shamed for doing something that doesn't hurt anyone
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

Because you are judging people based on some arbitrary set of your own values and attempting to control them through shame.

People have free will (as long as it's within the law and does not harm others), but imposing your rules on to them forces a pressure on them to conform to something you have no rights in law to do. They are protected by the cherished laws of this land to freedom and equality.

Taken to the extreme, it generates hatred, attempts to ostricise and polarises communities.

Thus these and other similar terms are highly divisive.

(Original post by uberteknik)
    Because you are judging people based on some arbitrary set of your own values.

People have free will, but imposing your rules on to them forces a pressure on tgem to conform to something you have no right in law to do.

It generates hatred, attempts to ostricise and polarises communuties.

Thus these and other similar terms are highly devisive.
    But how is this any different to saying if someone goes to Oxford it's a better uni than Brunel or whatever?

You have never judged anyone on anything before? How old are you?

ReputationRep:
    They are insulting and derogatory terms.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    But how is this any different to saying if someone goes to Oxford it's a better uni than Brunel or whatever?

You have never judged anyone on anything before? How old are you?
    Saying one university is better than another can be measured objectively and is not directly attacking an individual with insults on a personal level.

Why are you posting anonymously? What do you have to hide or are you simply a coward?

ReputationRep:
    It's necessary if their behaviour matches the definition and if it is having a corrosive effect on the society or themselves.

(Original post by uberteknik)
    Saying one university is better than another can be measured objectively and is not directly attacking an individual with insults on a personal level.

Why are you posting anonymously? What do you have to hide or are you simply a coward?
    The hypocrisy of modern feminism is exposed. :rolleyes:

imposing your rules on to them forces a pressure on tgem to conform to something you have no right in law to do.
    Are you for real? rofl:

(Original post by The_Mighty_Bush)
    It's necessary if their behaviour matches the definition and if it is having a corrosive effect on the society or themselves.
    Agreed. When you have so many kids with unmarried parents etc. or STDs or people ruining friendships with "friends with benefits" it harms society
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Are you for real? rofl:
    What did you not understand about my comments?

Do I need to explain it to you in more simple terms?

ReputationRep:
    Most of the time it's not being used accurately, simply as an insult - the idea of shaming people for being promiscuous is pretty unhealthy and closes up healthy discussions about sexuality. Also, people tend to start thinking that being a cheater, a slut and a prostitute are the same which is definitely not true and again, is a pretty unhealthy mindset for society to have. People should not be shamed for what they choose to do with their body.

I do think it's an issue that women are shamed for this but men tend to be praised for it but I don't think the answer is to shame men as well, but to stop judging people on their sexual habits completely. People should just stop using the term 'slut'.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 8, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.