Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

GEM / foundation degree / access course watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I want to get on to a medicine/dentistry course. I've just finished a masters degree in an arts based subject but have always wanted to be a doctor and just thought that it couldn't be because i messed up my a levels. I don't care about the length of the course so wouldn't mind doing an access course or a foundation degree if it meant i could go on to do the actual degree afterwards.
    I was just wondering if anyone could help me decide which route is best: access to medicine course, foundation degree in biomed, or graduate entry to medicine. Bearing in mind i got BDD in a levels (design, art, psychology) and a third in my BA degree, but have a MA degree.

heeeellppppp

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabiyak)
    Hi

I want to get on to a medicine/dentistry course. I've just finished a masters degree in an arts based subject but have always wanted to be a doctor and just thought that it couldn't be because i messed up my a levels. I don't care about the length of the course so wouldn't mind doing an access course or a foundation degree if it meant i could go on to do the actual degree afterwards.
    I was just wondering if anyone could help me decide which route is best: access to medicine course, foundation degree in biomed, or graduate entry to medicine. Bearing in mind i got BDD in a levels (design, art, psychology) and a third in my BA degree, but have a MA degree.

heeeellppppp

thanks
    I honestly don't think a masters matters. The problem is your degree. In order to get into GEM you need a 2:1, some unis accept a 2:2 if you have a masters but the problem is you have a third. If I were you I would email the unis directly and ask them. Additionally you have to keep in mind the competition. You need the relevant volunteering and work experience for it as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabiyak)
    Hi

heeeellppppp

thanks
    Unfortunately you do not qualify for access courses or foundation years. They are designed for people who have not been to uni and lack the entry requirements. As you hold both an undergraduate and a postgraduate degree you do not fit this.

Also as said previously the absolute lowest you can get into medicine with is a 2:2.

I hate to say it but with your A-levels and degree classification I do not think it is possible for you to get into medicine in the UK. Maybe look at going abroad? Although do consider the financial implications and also medicine is a HARD degree, your academics so far are not great, are you sure you can keep up on a degree that is designed for the top academic students in the country?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 8, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.