Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What parts in particular should I be focusing on? I've heard the graphics card is quite important but want some solid information.

Is a macbook a good choice or?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingLAWZA)
    What parts in particular should I be focusing on? I've heard the graphics card is quite important but want some solid information.

Yeah, it's the perfect all rounder. Check which OS the Pc's in the computer lab will be at the Uni's you're applying to first though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexp98)
    Yeah, it's the perfect all rounder. Check which OS the Pc's in the computer lab will be at the Uni's you're applying to first though
    alright cheers for the advice, really needed this

ReputationRep:

You need a laptop with high performance.

It's a good choice if you are more of an apple person, but you can get a windows laptop with the same quality for a cheaper price.

ReputationRep:
    alright cheers for the advice, really needed this
    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/comput...19752-pdt.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    You need a laptop with high performance.

It's a good choice if you are more of an apple person, but you can get a windows laptop with the same quality for a cheaper price.
    I'm definitely a windows person, been building and using it for my entire life!

High performance is very vague, is it the CPU or GPU I should be focusing on etc?

ReputationRep:
    I'm definitely a windows person, been building and using it for my entire life!

High performance is very vague, is it the CPU or GPU I should be focusing on etc?
    I have both a MBP and a Desktop I built. For programming you don't need much. If I were you, I would just get the MBP. Better build quality, better battery, SMS / text through it, etc. Windows is cheaper but I just find the Macs are the best laptops you can get that are just plug and play.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with comment above , a Windows desktop and MacBook combo is best, but for now I'd suggest a MacBook of you can afford it, then maybe Windows desktop later. It's true you can get Windows laptops for cheaper price, but truth is you will be going to lectures, library etc to do work and your Windows laptops run out of battery quite quick. I always see my friends with Windows laptops having to carry chargers and sitting in specific places so they can charge in library. And oh Mac is UNIX so you have all the command line tools built in, programming on Mac is also amazing + fast PCI ssd

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigboateng_)
    I agree with comment above , a Windows desktop and MacBook combo is best, but for now I'd suggest a MacBook of you can afford it, then maybe Windows desktop later. It's true you can get Windows laptops for cheaper price, but truth is you will be going to lectures, library etc to do work and your Windows laptops run out of battery quite quick. I always see my friends with Windows laptops having to carry chargers and sitting in specific places so they can charge in library. And oh Mac is UNIX so you have all the command line tools built in, programming on Mac is also amazing + fast PCI ssd

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thanks alot for your help! Are you a computer science student by any chance? If so what uni are you going to because it might be the same as me and I might have some questions

Looks like i'll be getting a MacBook then but would have to get used to it, may get one this christmas if I can find a good black friday deal

ReputationRep:
    thanks alot for your help! Are you a computer science student by any chance? If so what uni are you going to because it might be the same as me and I might have some questions

Looks like i'll be getting a MacBook then but would have to get used to it, may get one this christmas if I can find a good black friday deal
    I'm an engineering student, I just do programming in spare time. Also I go to Southampton university

ReputationRep:

Sign into NUS and get a 10% or something discount. I paid £860 for mine, 950 new, with 3 year applecare included free as charge (warranty, not just telephone support). its worth it but I hate mousepads, always buy a mobile mouse. Saved up and got the Logitech Master MX and not regretted it. I like physical mouses no matter the gismos they put into the trackpad, always dig real mice.

Apple devices are actually fairly cheap, economically. 5 Years later and I'll be able to sell it on (if needed) without too much devaluation. Would lose much more for a high-performance windows laptop.

ReputationRep:
    A macbook isn't necessary, but quite frankly if you can afford it i'd definitely suggest getting one (the macbook pro would be your best option).

From someone that uses windows and mac, macs are definitely far easier to use and more reliable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmarRPM)
    A macbook isn't necessary, but quite frankly if you can afford it i'd definitely suggest getting one (the macbook pro would be your best option).

From someone that uses windows and mac, macs are definitely far easier to use and more reliable.
    yeah thanks, I can afford the mac so definitely going for that due to the response

ReputationRep:
    ℱuck that, get a linux they are the absolute best for coding

ReputationRep:
    I need some help! I'll more than likely be doing comp sci with AI at uni and i want to get a new laptop. I really like both the macbook and surface pro 3. I really like the touch screen on the sp3, but would it be able to handle everything? Which one of these would you recommend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GUMI)
    ℱuck that, get a linux they are the absolute best for coding
    my first experience was when I was 7, never again

just not a fan personally

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danz0r123)
    I need some help! I'll more than likely be doing comp sci with AI at uni and i want to get a new laptop. I really like both the macbook and surface pro 3. I really like the touch screen on the sp3, but would it be able to handle everything? Which one of these would you recommend?
    Noooo don't get sp3 as a main computer, I don't even have to explain why, just don't. If you can get a MacBook then it's good else get an Windows laptop

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    my first experience was when I was 7, never again

just not a fan personally
    Linux is not that bad, but which is why I recommend MacBook, because OS X is a full UNIX based system but still usable by the average person. So later on when you advance in your degree and you need to use command line tools etc like in Linux, OS X will still serve you good as it come with all the command line tools built in

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigboateng_)
    Noooo don't get sp3 as a main computer, I don't even have to explain why, just don't. If you can get a MacBook then it's good else get an Windows laptop

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A laptop wouldn't be my main anyway, I'll probably spend a lot of time in the labs which have a bunch of iMacs and desktops anyway. The laptop would be for doing work when I'm out in a cafe or somewhere similar.

ReputationRep:
    T450 is one you should look at at, nice keyboard and fast with the i5/i7 ssd combo. Plus integrated graphics should be enough for computing.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 19, 2015
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.