Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

A level choice help watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I'm a current GCSE student and I will soon be choosing my A level subjects. I have virtually no idea as to what I want to be, however I'd be interested in studying compsci at a RG uni. I'm thinking about taking the following at A level:
    -Maths
    -English Lit
    -Software Systems Development (It's purely coding)

I'd like to take 4 subjects at AS but I'm not sure between RE or Government and Politics.

For anyone could answer my questions it would be great!
    1) Are these A Levels ok for compsci?
    2) Should I take RE or gov and politics?
    3) Are these A levels ok for a Russel Group uni?
    Thanks so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holly1211)
    Hi. I'm a current GCSE student and I will soon be choosing my A level subjects. I have virtually no idea as to what I want to be, however I'd be interested in studying compsci at a RG uni. I'm thinking about taking the following at A level:
    -Maths
    -English Lit

I'd like to take 4 subjects at AS but I'm not sure between RE or Government and Politics.

Thanks so much!
    Not a compsci but i may be able to answer that.
    1, better to have further maths. But having only maths is fine. Though some uni may ask you to have astar in maths.
    2, nit at all necessary. If you're gonna take 4 alevels take maths fmaths physics computing.
    3, the uni which i mentioned in 1 was Bristol

ReputationRep:
    English is useless for CompSci.

Maths, further maths, physics, computing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holly1211)
    -Maths
    -English Lit

Thanks so much!

I would recommend the maths and software systems thing, but maybe have a think about doing further maths along with those two. English lit doesn't really go along with those a levels and applying for comp sic, but as longs as you have maths and fm maths you'll be competitive.
    i would recommend taking further maths instead of re or government and politics, its a lot more helpful for computer science, and you'll find the degree easier, plus if you don't like further maths, then i would double think doing comp sci at uni.
    Yes, they are completely fine, but again i would recommend further maths instead of the re or government and politics for your fourth a level.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 7, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.