Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Find an estimate for Sin(31) using a Taylor expansion of 3rd order about x=pi/6 and justify the precision of your answer.

I've got my estimate for Sin(31) and I expect that they want us to use Taylor's theorem (because we truncated the Taylor series to 4 terms) to justify the precision by commenting on the upper bound of the error

Rn=mod([f^(n)(zeta)x^n]/n!) (apologise for lack of latex)

So my trouble is finding an expression for the nth derivative of Sin(x) at zeta (0<=zeta<=x). Because Rn is the mod of that expression, could you take max(d/dnSin(x)) by assuming that +/-Sin(x) and +/-Cos(x) both oscillate between -1 and 1 and thus just removing that term (taking the max for the upper bound) and stating that Rn<=mod(x^n/n!)? and since n! grows faster than x^n for all x,n then the series converges unconditionally for all x. My question is can we 'ignore' the nth derivative of sin(x) by taking the maximal value Sin(x)/cos(x) can take if we are considering an upper bound on the error.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protoxylic)
    Find an estimate for Sin(31) using a Taylor expansion of 3rd order about x=pi/6 and justify the precision of your answer.

I've got my estimate for Sin(31) and I expect that they want us to use Taylor's theorem (because we truncated the Taylor series to 4 terms) to justify the precision by commenting on the upper bound of the error

Rn=mod([f^(n)(zeta)x^n]/n!) (apologise for lack of latex)

So my trouble is finding an expression for the nth derivative of Sin(x) at zeta (0<=zeta<=x). Because Rn is the mod of that expression, could you take max(d/dnSin(x)) by assuming that +/-Sin(x) and +/-Cos(x) both oscillate between -1 and 1 and thus just removing that term (taking the max for the upper bound) and stating that Rn<=mod(x^n/n!)? and since n! grows faster than x^n for all x,n then the series converges unconditionally for all x. My question is can we 'ignore' the nth derivative of sin(x) by taking the maximal value Sin(x)/cos(x) can take if we are considering an upper bound on the error.
    You can remove the sine/cos term from the remainder to get an upper bound like you said. For your approximation you'll have to choose a suitable value of n, and the error will be less than (pi/180)^n / n! for the value of n that you chose. Make sure you understand the statement of Taylor's theorem (https://proofwiki.org/wiki/Taylor&#39;s_...m/One_Variable).

Notice in particular the 'there exists a η such that Rn=1(n+1)!(x−ξ)^(n+1)f(n+1)( ·)' part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metaltron)
    You can remove the sine/cos term from the remainder to get an upper bound like you said. For your approximation you'll have to choose a suitable value of n, and the error will be less than (pi/180)^n / n! for the value of n that you chose. Make sure you understand the statement of Taylor's theorem (https://proofwiki.org/wiki/Taylor&#39;s_...m/One_Variable).

Notice in particular the 'there exists a η such that Rn=1(n+1)!(x−ξ)^(n+1)f(n+1)(Î ·)' part.
    Yeah I got the rest, I was just unsure about ignoring the sin/cos term, but now it seems blatantly obvious, cheers

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 8, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.