Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is it o.k to go and just sit next to someone in class? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so this might seem like a really silly question but ive confused my self now lol. Im at uni normally sit by myself in class/tutorials/lunch etc. Ive noticed most people have already made friends except me a couple of really shy people (mainly fat people maybe they have low self esteem?), and a couple others. I have spoken to a few people but still dont have any one im confident i can go sit next to without them thinking "why is he sitting next to me".
    I guess cos ive never been good at making friends i havent learnt social skills. How would you feel if some one you've only spoken to a few times came and obviously sat next to you when theres clearly other seats.

ReputationRep:
    There are no silly questions. Only silly answers.

ReputationRep:
    This is not honestly being asked, is it? Really? Come on.

An obvious yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trevormacdonald)
    Hi, so this might seem like a really silly question but ive confused my self now lol. Im at uni normally sit by myself in class/tutorials/lunch etc. Ive noticed most people have already made friends except me a couple of really shy people (mainly fat people maybe they have low self esteem?), and a couple others. I have spoken to a few people but still dont have any one im confident i can go sit next to without them thinking "why is he sitting next to me".
    I guess cos ive never been good at making friends i havent learnt social skills. How would you feel if some one you've only spoken to a few times came and obviously sat next to you when theres clearly other seats.
    I started uni at the beginning of october and have made friends that i sit with regularly and go out with, but still in lectures were i get there early and have no one the sit to with, i sit next to random people (even if there are lots of seats) and say hi, and ask pretty basic questions (like how did you find the test, the coursework, are you going to the chemistry social etc).
    As for sitting next to me, I wouldn't be bothered, i'd probably say hi, and if you made a conversation then i would love talking to you, i would recommend getting on with it now, before people get to stuck in there ways and get the "i've already got friends attitude"

ReputationRep:
    Of course , especially to people who are too shy to make the first move, if they found someone coming up and talking to them, they would feel grateful.

ReputationRep:
    i heard that if you borrow a pencil from them, they will like you more? I have never tried it but it's worth a shot, there's some sort of psychology behind it. This is probably a silly answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    This is not honestly being asked, is it? Really? Come on.

An obvious yes.
    I know it seems obvious but what if ur in a lecture theatre and there are loads of empty seats can i just go and. sit next to people i done this a couple of times and it didnt feel right.

ReputationRep:
    Interesring views so far... any one else?

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is perfectly ok especially during 1st year go say hi! The weirdest thing you can do is leave a 1 chair space rather than sitting next to someone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamiep151)
    Yes it is perfectly ok especially during 1st year go say hi! The weirdest thing you can do is leave a 1 chair space rather than sitting next to someone.
    Lol thats what i do is leave one chair space. How did u know ?

ReputationRep:
    Lol thats what i do is leave one chair space. How did u know ?
    When people feel a bit shy its what they do as they don't think its ok to sit next to someone so leave the space.

ReputationRep:
    I feel like I'm going to have problems with this. So crap at making friends >.>

ReputationRep:
    Interesring views so far... any one else?
    Are you preparing a report for a news bulletin on this topic, Trev?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    Are you preparing a report for a news bulletin on this topic, Trev?
    Doing an experiment mate, gonna do what the majority opininon is then report back on results.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah just sit yerself down anywhere. The worst thing that could happen is them just ignoring you, which won't be much different from sitting on your own really.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.