Turn on thread page Beta

Medicine Work Experience watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    When did you start? What did you do?

Do you think it is worth paying for a certain week trip to a poor country in a more 'hands-on' environment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Just_A_Guy)
    When did you start? What did you do?

Do you think it is worth paying for a certain week trip to a poor country in a more 'hands-on' environment?
    I did my work experience last summer and I applied the following September. It was two weeks only but there was more than enough to talk about it in my personal statement. I carried out my work experience in a palliative care unit at a hospital. The consultant I did it with worked at both the hospital and a nearby hospice during the week so I altered my personal statement to make it seem like I carried out two separate work experience placements. I also done 6 months of volunteering at an elderly care home.

To be honest, from writing my personal statement I'd say there's no point of going to another country, firstly because if you carry out any other work experience with this, you'll barely have enough space but a couple of lines to talk about it in your personal statement. Remember you have 4000 characters only and you have to fit in a LOT of stuff. Also by hands on if you mean you're going to a hospital or clinical environment that is more relaxed with rules and regulations, just remember you can't talk about anything that you did in your work experience that may come across as inappropriate or against the law considering the fact that you're under 18. Also, medical schools always say this, it's less about what you saw and more of what you learnt from it, so you could carry out work experience at your local GP (for free) and learn more from that then going to, say a country in Africa and doing a placement at a hospital.

I mean, if you REALLY want to, I'd definitely say go for it - you can talk about it in your interview and would be a interesting talking point within your personal statement. But if you don't or decide it's not worth it, I'd say your best bet would be to go on various hospital websites and find their consultant lists and email their consultants for work experience placements. Start emailing early because they are very busy people and don't be put off if you don't get a reply, I emailed 50+ consultants before I got a single reply.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot, that was really useful!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 8, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.