Turn on thread page Beta

Why do Americans bother moving to the United Kingdom? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    There are so many Americans in my university, it's not even funny. I seriously don't GET it. Why would Americans ever leave all the opportunities they have to come to this crappy island?

1. The UK is so,so small, you can drive from one end to the other in a few hours.
    2. The climate is horrendous.
    3. All the buildings are small and compact, some cities are Claustrophic.
    4. It's expensive.
    5. Opening hours aren't nearly as good as America.

Whereas with America:

1. Much better shopping opportunities.
    2. So many different places that you can go to.
    3. Better weather.
    4. There's somewhere for everyone.
    5. Opening hours are better.
    6. It's so much cheaper.
    7. So many different types of cuisines.
    8. So many different types of landscapes.

I just can't understand why they would come here. America is clearly a million times better than the UK will ever be, let's get real.

I want to move there. It makes me angry when I see an American coming here, why would they throw all that out for this place?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frostyjoe)
    There are so many Americans in my university, it's not even funny. I seriously don't GET it. Why would Americans ever leave all the opportunities they have to come to this crappy island?

1. The UK is so,so small, you can drive from one end to the other in a few hours.
    4. It's expensive.

Whereas with America:

3. Better weather.
    6. It's so much cheaper.

I just can't understand why they would come here. America is clearly a million times better than the UK will ever be, let's get real.

I want to move there. It makes me angry when I see an American coming here, why would they throw all that out for this place?
    America isn't as grand and opportunistic as you may think and English education is generally a lot better.

ReputationRep:
    Coz in America you have a higher chance of being killed by the police than by criminals. Some people actually like living.

ReputationRep:

4. It's expensive.

Whereas with America:

3. Better weather.
    6. It's so much cheaper.

Well I'm French and I've lived in Florida for half my life. I agree, so many Americans come to France to study and I ask myself why come to this crap country? the people are rude and disrespectful, the weather is horrible and I've got no words for the culture. I want to study in the UK cause I like the system. Plus doesn't everyone want to travel or study abroad? Even if their citizens claim their country is crap all they see is an adventure. It's normal, Americans think Europe is foreign, and Europeans think America is heaven.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iAre Teh Lejend)
    Coz in America you have a higher chance of being killed by the police than by criminals. Some people actually like living.
    People move to Britain from America because of work. The same reason why people move in general. Also the police are armed in Britain now, they murder people also. In London you see the police walk around with machine guns.

ReputationRep:
    It's not like that there, don't let the news paint you're image of what it is like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Denisia18)
    Well I'm French and I've lived in Florida for half my life. I agree, so many Americans come to France to study and I ask myself why come to this crap country? the people are rude and disrespectful, the weather is horrible and I've got no words for the culture. I want to study in the UK cause I like the system. Plus doesn't everyone want to travel or study abroad? Even if their citizens claim their country is crap all they see is an adventure. It's normal, Americans think Europe is foreign, and Europeans think America is heaven.
    I know, I've been there three times and every single time I go, I have a ball. I HATE it here, I'm sick and tired of living here. Especially regarding the weather here, it's constantly cloudy and raining = depression city.

There's no point in listing all the positives about America because we'd be here all day. Yes, I know that there is a lot of poverty there (I've seen poor areas there before which are worse than deprived areas here to be fair), but they have much more opportunities there than us.

I think if my family were to take our incomes/house over to a place like Fort Lauderdale, we'd have a much better quality of life. If we sold our house, we could buy a mansion there! That's the other thing, it's so expensive here.

I can't think why they want to come here and that's it. I always laugh and laugh when I see an American getting on a bus or walking round the university, it's like what the hell are you thinking coming here to this dump? So stupid, it makes me angry because I'd love to move there and they are moving away to this dump when I could take their place.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    If you don't go a top 5 uni in America, you are about as relevant as a booger

Whereas here, there are a wider range of opportunities, and not all is about higher education but apprenticeships get you cool jobs too

Plus the death rates in America are :eek: :eek: (:eek:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by william walker)
    People move to Britain from America because of work. The same reason why people move in general. Also the police are armed in Britain now, they murder people also. In London you see the police walk around with machine guns.
    They are armed in Britain 'now'. Nonsense. Some of them have been armed for years, yet you imply that they are all toting guns.

ReputationRep:
    Whereas with America:

3. Better weather.
    6. It's so much cheaper.
    All that good stuff you listed! the only problem is the americans!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by william walker)
    On no where near the same scale as the American police.

ReputationRep:
    For University, it's because our University education is meant to be 'better'. My dad got an offer of a job as a professor there where as here he was an ordinary lecturer. Not sure how much truth there is in the 'better' education in the UK compared the U.S. but they'll believe anything (case in point maybe we are deeper thinkers/more 'clever').

ReputationRep:
    I know, I've been there three times and every single time I go, I have a ball. I HATE it here, I'm sick and tired of living here. Especially regarding the weather here, it's constantly cloudy and raining = depression city.

There's no point in listing all the positives about America because we'd be here all day. Yes, I know that there is a lot of poverty there (I've seen poor areas there before which are worse than deprived areas here to be fair), but they have much more opportunities there than us.

I think if my family were to take our incomes/house over to a place like Fort Lauderdale, we'd have a much better quality of life. If we sold our house, we could buy a mansion there! That's the other thing, it's so expensive here.

I can't think why they want to come here and that's it. I always laugh and laugh when I see an American getting on a bus or walking round the university, it's like what the hell are you thinking coming here to this dump? So stupid, it makes me angry because I'd love to move there and they are moving away to this dump when I could take their place.
    Did you actually go outside when you were in the United States? (There is no such country as America).
    The weather is 'changeable' in the UK. We have less snow, fewer avalanches, 100s of tiny weeny tornadoes that kill nobody, fewer floods that kill people in large numbers, tiny earthquakes, we only have one tiny desert, our road system is not generally 10 lanes wide, we consume less food and fewer resources, it doesn't take us long to visit friends, we get shot by the police less often and shot by our neighbours less often, very few kids drown in swimming pools here (its 400 pa in the US), we don't own 270 MILLION guns, you are less likely to go to prison in the UK, we are not as fat, we don't regularly waterboard people, we start fewer wars and generally invade fewer tiny countries (like Grenada) nowadays, we don't measure people by the quality of their dentist's handiwork, we get medical treatment 'free' whereas they are bound to a job like slaves when they are ill, because leaving means they lose their health insurance, we know where the US is: they don't know where any other country is apart from Mexico (bad) and Canada (hmm), they think Friends is funny, they imagine we all live in castles and are chums with the queen, they get fewer and shorter holidays, half of them are called Chester or Chet, they are condescending to black people, indigenous people, Hispanics and anybody else they don't understand, you have to drive 10 miles to buy a pint of milk, they think they won the war.
    They are isolationist, paranoid and hardly any of them own a passport. It is entirely a cultural vacuum: they killed the indigenous people and made the rest live on reservations.
    The question is this: why the hell would you want to live there? You have had a couple of trips but have not immersed yourself in the crippled culture and limited intellect of the majority.
    Any American who comes here, frankly, is a genius and should be feted. Those are the Americans you think actually populate that massive country yet the ones who travel are the great ones and are the intelligent minority. The ones they left behind are not really as great as you think.

ReputationRep:

Wherever you go there will have pros and cons. Example France has a very good health care system whereas in the U.S if you fall sick you better pray that your immune system is strong enough otherwise you're f*cked.

ReputationRep:
    Great Britain is superior to its ******* child you redneck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Canterbury bloke)
    very few kids drown in swimming pools here (its 400 pa in the US),
    Now that's scraping the barrel! :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Actually, that's the opposite of the problem with the US. Everything is spread out so far that you have to drive to get to anything. I personally can't drive a car, and having to rely on a family member every time I want to get somewhere is annoying.
    I have almost no sweat glands and my body temperature runs hot. I tend to avoid harsh sunlight. The climate really isn't that bad if you hate sunlight and like the cold.
    Once again, things are closer together and you don't have to walk as far.
    4. It's expensive.
    Well, Americans going to the UK generally have money to throw around on whatever they want anyway.
    Well, you've got a point there, but it's the only valid one you've made so far.
    Shopping might be a distraction from getting an education.
    True of the entire world for someone that can get into a British university. Clearly, some people like what Britain has to offer.
    3. Better weather.
    Subjective, and already covered.
    True of the entire world, etc.
    Your only valid point so far, stated in reverse.
    6. It's so much cheaper.
    Only an issue if money is tight.
    And most of us eat McDonald's or make sandwiches every day rather than bother to partake in all the choices. College students especially tend not to care about variety in their meals.
    Sure, if you go on a road trip of a few thousand miles. If you're staying in one town and going to school, it's not like there will be different landscapes on campus.
    America is such a young country that it has little connection to history. Is there a better place than Britain to study Old English and medieval history? I don't think so.
    Who says they're throwing it away? They're just going to a university in Britain, not living there. Americans are coming there to spend money rather than use up social services. What could you possibly have to complain about?

ReputationRep:
    I dislike Americans but not because the USA is better. The racism against Indians from Americans is worse than in Western Europe or Asia. Then they are too politically correct around Blacks. And we're sidelined for East Asians, Latinos AND Muslims!

I don't think I'd ever say the US is even a good place to live. Quality of life is better in places like Europe or Canada.
    3. Better weather.
    6. It's so much cheaper.
    1. London > Anywhere in USA, then there's continental Europe
    2 + 3. European Union, Commonwealth
    4. Do not understand this one, but London is more multicultural than anywhere in the US
    5. Yes. It needs to get better here.
    6. Salaries are also lower in the US than in Northern Europe
    7. Compared to Europe? We even have more ethnic groups in the UK!
    8. EU

ReputationRep:
    Only if you're black tho

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.