• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    B882 - Face Coverings Prohibition Bill 2015, TSR UKIP
    Face Coverings Prohibition Bill 2015

A
    BILL
    TO
    Prohibit the use of face coverings in public places.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1) Definitions
    (a) “Public place” in this bill includes any premises or place to which the public have or are permitted to have access at the material time, whether on payment or otherwise.
    (b) “Public service” refers to any service provided to the public by or on behalf of any public agency or public enterprise of a legislative, administrative or judicial nature or in connection with public order or national security.
    (c) “Public official” refers to a person engaged in, but not limited to, the provision of a public service.

2) Prohibition of face coverings
    (1) Subject to the exemptions in subsection (2), an individual who wears or uses a garment or other object with the intent to obscure one’s face as the primary purpose of wearing or using said garment or object in a public place shall be guilty of an offence.
    (2) An individual does not commit an offence under subsection (1) if the garment or other object is worn—
    (a) pursuant to any legislative or regulatory provision;
    (b) as a necessary part of any activity directly related to a person’s employment;
    (c) for reasons of health or safety;
    (d) for the purposes of a sporting activity;
    (e) for the purposes of art, leisure or entertainment; or
    (f) within the boundaries of a place of worship.

3) On private premises
    (1) Where members of the public are licensed to access private premises for the purposes of the giving or receiving of goods or services, it shall not be an offence for the owner of such premises or his agents—
    (a) to request that a person wearing a garment or other object intended to obscure the face remove such garment or object; or
    (b) to require that a person refusing a request under subsection (a) leave the premises.

4) Public service
    (1) A person—
    (a) providing a public service in person to a member of the public; or
    (b) receiving a public service in person from a public official; shall remove any garment or other object intended by the wearer as its primary purpose to obscure the face unless such garment or other object is reasonably required for reasons of health or safety.

5) Consequences of violation
    Offenders shall be liable to mandatory community service and a maximum fine of—
    (a) £500 on the first offence
    (b) £2000 on the second offence
    (2) Offenders shall be liable to community service, a maximum fine of £5000 and a maximum sentence of two years for each and every offence (from the second offence) thereafter.

6) Short title, commencement and extent
    (1) This Act may be cited as the Face Coverings Prohibition Act 2015.
    (2) This Act comes into effect 30 days after Royal Assent.
    (3) This Act extends to Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    How did I guess it was UKIP from the title...well, it is a kinda racist bill.

ReputationRep:
    Aye. Though it's hard to tell without the notes that should have been included, full-body coverings are a safety risk.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Are UKIP actually serious?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Absolutely ****ing not 😂

ReputationRep:
    Nay, why shouldn't people be allowed to cover their face if they see fit?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    In any case this bill is flawed. What if Muslims began wearing burqas for 'entertainment purposes'? There's no way one could prove otherwise.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Not at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    How did I guess it was UKIP from the title...well, it is a kinda racist bill.
    Remind me, which race covers their faces?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Actually, seeing the entertainment provision, this is basically a simple case of "ban the burqa", given that there isn't even a public safety element since most publicly dangerous elements are going to be for either 'work' or 'recreation'.

ReputationRep:
    Nay
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Actually, seeing the entertainment provision, this is basically a simple case of "ban the burqa", given that there isn't even a public safety element since most publicly dangerous elements are going to be for either 'work' or 'recreation'.
    An exceptionally poor effort in attempting to hide the true meaning of the Bill.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I propose an amendment to 2(2) - that a clause 'g' is to be added stating 'for religious purposes'.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by thehistorybore)
    I propose an amendment to 2(2) - that a clause 'g' is to be added stating 'for religious purposes'.
    Which then means that this bill does nothing.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Which then means that this bill does nothing.
    Precisely!

ReputationRep:
    Nay

ReputationRep:
    Waow...

ReputationRep:
    Nay, Nay and Nay again
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Are you really okay with putting the interests of a distant hateful religion which uses facial coverings to manifest control and oppression over women above the interests of safety and local culture?

Would you be equally sympathetic towards people wearing balaclavas with sunglasses, including in shops and banks?
    Yes, I am ok with allowing all citizens the free choice to cover their faces should they wish to do so. If you would talk to a few Muslim women, you will find that it is not seen as a system of control, but an exercise in free religious expression and modesty, as well as devotion to those that they love.

Why shouldn't I be allowed to wear my balaclava to the bank? It's nice and cosy,and I find it 'entertaining'.

ReputationRep:
    Some may find this surprising, but it's an aye to this from me. My main problem with people covering their faces is if someone were to commit a violent act towards another person, or indeed to steal something from a shop, whilst covering their face with a piece of clothing they would be much harder to identify. This isn't discriminatory, as I believe it isn't actually a religious requirement for Muslim women to wear the full face veil, and those who would otherwise do so can just wear a hijab instead.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 21, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.