Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey so i'm taking a gap year next year to go travelling and the plan is America. I'm definitely going to the North-East as i have a friend who lives out there. So far the places i really want to go to include:
    New York City and Brooklyn (New York), Washington DC (Virginia), Chicago (Illionois - i know this isn't really North-west but..), Philadelphia (Pennsylvania) and maybe Boston.
    I'm travelling from England and i will be 18 and female. If anyone has any advice on places i should visit, what i should eat and activities i should do please let me know.
    If you've been to any particular hostels or places that were really helpful for travelling. Also any necessities i must take or anything i should do really, any advice is appreciated!
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Have you thought about visiting the West coast? Last year me and my family took a road trip around there. Driving from San Francisco down to LA on the coastal roads is quite a sight to see. Monterey is a nice peaceful place to go. I recommend the Saddel Ranch resteraunt in LA, and taking a Warner Bros studio tour

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ya wot m8)
    Have you thought about visiting the West coast? Last year me and my family took a road trip around there. Driving from San Francisco down to LA on the coastal roads is quite a sight to see. Monterey is a nice peaceful place to go. I recommend the Saddel Ranch resteraunt in LA, and taking a Warner Bros studio tour
    hey thanks for the advice! for now i'm just focussing on the North-East but hope to go to the West Coast someday

ReputationRep:
    You will have the best time the East Coast of America is amazing! Have you thought about doing a tour? This can be more experience but easier? Or if you book in advance the megabus is super cheap!

Chicago is amazing, make sure you spend most time there even though it is far away from most places. I stayed in the Hi hostel which was very social and had free day/night tours with local guides it was the best time. You could even go from Chicago to Niagara Falls then down to Boston?

Book accommodation early for NYC as it is very expensive!

Have a great trip

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you see a baseball game either in Boston or NYC The atmosphere is AWESOME! And in Chicago, you must try Giordano's Pizza!!!!! (I know it looks a bit gross but come on. It's the USA. You must try something like that XD). In Washington I loved the National Air and Space museum because I really like airplanes :3 But even for non aviation enthusiasts, you'll have a great time!

ReputationRep:
    I got a Greyhound bus pass for the 5 weeks I was in the US during my gap year. For a couple of hundred dollars I could go on any bus - I planned my route on the fly and went across the country from NYC to LA. It was an incredible experience and most Americans I speak to still think I'm nuts! Good luck for your trip :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    I got a Greyhound bus pass for the 5 weeks I was in the US during my gap year. For a couple of hundred dollars I could go on any bus - I planned my route on the fly and went across the country from NYC to LA. It was an incredible experience and most Americans I speak to still think I'm nuts! Good luck for your trip :-)
    Wow you must have seen some really remote places, I would love to travel the NY to LA route!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fasteddy)
    Wow you must have seen some really remote places, I would love to travel the NY to LA route!!
    There were so many places in the US I wanted to visit - the Grand Canyon, Nashville, the Alamo, Memphis, New York, San Francisco... and I had an opportunity to combine them into one trip. Some of the journeys through the western states (mostly Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas) were mile upon mile and hour after hour of beautiful desert and rocky landscapes. I know not everyone would/could want to do the trip, but it was something I'd wanted to do and been planning for years. 5 weeks was a very short time to see so much, but I had to head on to Australia for the next leg of the adventure...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fasteddy)
    You will have the best time the East Coast of America is amazing! Have you thought about doing a tour? This can be more experience but easier? Or if you book in advance the megabus is super cheap!

Chicago is amazing, make sure you spend most time there even though it is far away from most places. I stayed in the Hi hostel which was very social and had free day/night tours with local guides it was the best time. You could even go from Chicago to Niagara Falls then down to Boston?

Book accommodation early for NYC as it is very expensive!

Have a great trip
    I'll have a look at that hostel, thanks for all the advice!

ReputationRep:
    Wow this is making me miss the states! Couldn't agree more with what has been said, you have to do it! I've done a lot of travelling in my time, a lot of it has been alone. I find going alone pushes you to open up to people, you have no choice but to throw yourself at everything. So long as you're well prepared and have a rough plan of what you'd like to achieve before you set out you should be fine mate. You'll find as you meet new people you'll be invited to all sorts of events you'd never find on the internet, this is real travelling.

Another great idea, and something I actually did, was a US summer camp. It ended up being one of the best summers I've ever had. I went alone but soon made close friends with the guys in the camp, once camp had finished a lot of people carried on their travels into the cities, NYC and Chicago especially. Of course the camp gives you the opportunity to work whilst also travelling, pretty cool? If you plan to work at all whilst over in the states sort ourself out with a J1 Visa, this will sort you out to legally be able to work over there. Some Visa information here if you need it mate, i found it pretty useful:

http://www.campleaders.com/gb/travel...n-information/

Sweet, good luck with the planning, look forward to hearing how it goes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gow)
    Hey so i'm taking a gap year next year to go travelling and the plan is America. I'm definitely going to the North-East as i have a friend who lives out there. So far the places i really want to go to include:
    New York City and Brooklyn (New York), Washington DC (Virginia), Chicago (Illionois - i know this isn't really North-west but..), Philadelphia (Pennsylvania) and maybe Boston.
    I'm travelling from England and i will be 18 and female. If anyone has any advice on places i should visit, what i should eat and activities i should do please let me know.
    If you've been to any particular hostels or places that were really helpful for travelling. Also any necessities i must take or anything i should do really, any advice is appreciated!
    Thank you
    I did America alone when I was 17!! I would 100% try to go to Utah if possible, absolutely stunning out there and so much to do if youre an outdoorsy type.
    I wouldnt plan on staying in NYC for longer than a coupe of days...but if in NY, you must explore long island and upstate new york...simply beautiful and miles different from NYC (which i dont rate that highly).
    I absolutely adored the southern states...Atlanta was my favourite. There really is nothing like southern hospitality!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Some places we recommend are San Francisco, Yosemite National Park and Nashville! Awesome places and full of tonnes of things to do! Think about where you want to go... do you want sights? (National Parks) Music? (Nashville, Memphis, New Orleans) or history/culture? (DC/NYC/Boston!) Every state in America is full of incredible adventures - Sophie.

ReputationRep:
    Also have you thought about booking a tour? This is probably the easiest way to see as many places in the US as possible, although will be more expensive than going the independent role. Lots of companies offer trips and you might like to search USA tours to see if anything takes your fancy.

ReputationRep:
    I used to live out by San Francisco and frankly the scenic coastal drive beats anything anywhere else in America. The Pacific Northwest is absolutely beautiful in every regard - you'd be a fool to miss it!

Yosemite, Muir Woods, Monterrey, Santa Cruz beaches, Marin County all offer stunning natural beauty.

San Francisco, Monterrey, (the bay area in general tbh) are all vibrant and full of life. It's a special part of America that you don't find elsewhere in the country.

Granted I am a bit biased

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.