Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Housemate advice - is this going to **** up our deposit? watch

ReputationRep:
    Right, so basically without going into this in a long drawn out post hopefully, the story is as such:
    In a house of five, there are two bathrooms, which were bot renovated over the summer. The one bathroom was fitted with this horrid glass sink, but for some reason wasn't hooked up with hot water.
    Anyway, my flatmate was using a kettle to warm his water up, and poured it into the sink... well, cold glass sink + hot water, safe to say it cracked!

He was gutted, he owned up, he reported it to our landlord's agency pretty much straight away and ... well said that he would pay for the damage which sadly was in excess of £300 (because of removal of tiles and such).
    No problem there ... our deposits aren't damaged even though it's a communal space.

Then one of our other housemates, and I have no idea how this even happened, was stressed and said they "just tapped the wall" on our stairwell. There's no way in a month of sundays it was just a tap, as there is a hole fist shaped which has broken through paint, plaster and plaster board. It actually looks like a punch, but whatever.

Obviously embarassed, it's a communal space, its probably in the excess of £100 repair, now they basically argued saying "I'm not reporting it, I'll just get my dad to fix it" after we had to talk her out of basically trying to fill the giant hole with wall filler.

She won't report the damage and say its her until AFTER she's roped her dad into fixing it. Now I am pretty certain that the maintenance company are going to screw at us for not telling them and carrying out work without their consent.

She's trying to do it to avoid getting charged more money, but won't understand the rest of us don't want to lose our deposits because of her rage.
    She claims she is trying to be a 'responsible housemate and adult' by getting it repaired and THEN reporting it, and tells me she read the contract.

However I actually did read it and it says we need prior consent to repair, decorate or do any addition to the property.

Anyone know if this will **** us all over with the deposits? I'm getting tired of arguing and being hit with a wall of verbal abuse for trying to not be charged for something I had nothing to do with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sticky0wl)
    there are two bathrooms, which were bot renovated
    'Bot renovation'? I wonder what that involves.

Answering your question: what the landlord don't see, the landlord don't do you for. It needs to be an invisible repair. That won't be easy because making the paint match will be 99.6347% impossible. On a good day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    'Bot renovation'? I wonder what that involves.

Answering your question: what the landlord don't see, the landlord don't do you for. It needs to be an invisible repair. That won't be easy because making the paint match will be 99.6347% impossible. On a good day.
    Hah, sorry, my laptop lagged and that should say both! Thank you for pointing that out!

Also yes, thats actually what I said. I did point out the fact that the entire house was painted in a slightly off yellow paint, if she doesn't match it we're buggered, or she's going to need to do a lot of painting!

However it's gonna be a pretty noticable repair .. it's a substantial hole (15 to 20mm deep and ... well fist sized, and it's sent hairline cracks all down the wall.), and in a really bloody obvious location right at the top of the stairs on the landing.

Again I think she should report it first and just man up.

ReputationRep:
    If she can get it fixed by her Dad then I wouldn't even bother telling the landlord at all. But then again if it doesn't look right after the fix then it'll be an obvious repair job.

However she could just deny it was her and then everyone has to pay as its a communal space. At the end of the day most people I know who lived in a student house pretty much accepted they weren't ever going to get a full deposit back.

ReputationRep:
    She won't report the damage and say its her until AFTER she's roped her dad into fixing it. Now I am pretty certain that the maintenance company are going to screw at us for not telling them and carrying out work without their consent.
    There's no legal requirement to report damage. Heck, you could literally smash the entire place up as long as you repair it all and return the property in the same condition as when you moved in.

If your flatmate's dad can repair to wall to the same condition it was in previously, let them go for it.

Ignore that prior consent clause, its totally unenforceable.

ReputationRep:
    Right, so basically without going into this in a long drawn out post hopefully, the story is as such:
    In a house of five, there are two bathrooms, which were bot renovated over the summer. The one bathroom was fitted with this horrid glass sink, but for some reason wasn't hooked up with hot water.
    Anyway, my flatmate was using a kettle to warm his water up, and poured it into the sink... well, cold glass sink + hot water, safe to say it cracked!

He was gutted, he owned up, he reported it to our landlord's agency pretty much straight away and ... well said that he would pay for the damage which sadly was in excess of £300 (because of removal of tiles and such).
    No problem there ... our deposits aren't damaged even though it's a communal space.

Then one of our other housemates, and I have no idea how this even happened, was stressed and said they "just tapped the wall" on our stairwell. There's no way in a month of sundays it was just a tap, as there is a hole fist shaped which has broken through paint, plaster and plaster board. It actually looks like a punch, but whatever.

Obviously embarassed, it's a communal space, its probably in the excess of £100 repair, now they basically argued saying "I'm not reporting it, I'll just get my dad to fix it" after we had to talk her out of basically trying to fill the giant hole with wall filler.

She's trying to do it to avoid getting charged more money, but won't understand the rest of us don't want to lose our deposits because of her rage.
    She claims she is trying to be a 'responsible housemate and adult' by getting it repaired and THEN reporting it, and tells me she read the contract.

However I actually did read it and it says we need prior consent to repair, decorate or do any addition to the property.

Anyone know if this will **** us all over with the deposits? I'm getting tired of arguing and being hit with a wall of verbal abuse for trying to not be charged for something I had nothing to do with.
    You have little to lose from her attempting to right the damage. Just get her to agree that, in the event that the agent charges you for the repair anyway, she will cover the cost.

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on if she/her dad is able to match the paintwork. In turn, this is dependent on if the same paint can be found and how old the existing paint job is. If it's fresh paint, the same kind can be found and her dad is a decent decorator then it isn't a hard problem to fix.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.