The Student Room Group

Courses help

Hello. I was wondering what kind of courses i could possibly study if im good at biology, chemistry and maths? Im planning on going to uni in a year and a half but i have no idea what i want to study so id like to know what options i have. Im not too interested in chemical engineering and wanted to focus on something like biochemistry but it seems too generic and i dont really know what else there is. Thanks for any replies :smile:
Have a look into some environmental/geoscience courses, they usually contain a lot of biology and are fairly interesting!
If you're really struggling, go through uni prospectuses online and see what interests you :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by slothonist
Have a look into some environmental/geoscience courses, they usually contain a lot of biology and are fairly interesting!
If you're really struggling, go through uni prospectuses online and see what interests you :smile:

It says that i should have some knowledge on Geography but I've not studied that since S2, so that wont be for me i guess :biggrin: and thanks, helps a lot :smile: do you know any uni's that are specifically good for these sciences? for example, i know that Strathclyde is known for being good at teaching Engineering, etc :smile:
Original post by bb208
It says that i should have some knowledge on Geography but I've not studied that since S2, so that wont be for me i guess :biggrin: and thanks, helps a lot :smile: do you know any uni's that are specifically good for these sciences? for example, i know that Strathclyde is known for being good at teaching Engineering, etc :smile:

Well you could risk it.. Someone I know got an offer to study geology and they only did geography until S2. For geology most unis like applicants to study sciences :smile:

Heriot-Watt is really good for chemical engineering but you're not really into that xD I think their maths course is decent as well
Aberdeen is brilliant for petroleum geology, natural sciences etc
Edinburgh's chemistry/biology courses are really good as they have excellent research labs and the teaching is to a high standard :smile:
Errmm Glasgow and St Andrews are both prestigious unis that are great overall and would look good on your CV when applying for a job :tongue: but I'm not sure how good their actual courses are :biggrin:
Hope that helps!
Reply 4
Well you could risk it.. Someone I know got an offer to study geology and they only did geography until S2. For geology most unis like applicants to study sciences :smile:

Heriot-Watt is really good for chemical engineering but you're not really into that xD I think their maths course is decent as well
Aberdeen is brilliant for petroleum geology, natural sciences etc
Edinburgh's chemistry/biology courses are really good as they have excellent research labs and the teaching is to a high standard :smile:
Errmm Glasgow and St Andrews are both prestigious unis that are great overall and would look good on your CV when applying for a job :tongue: but I'm not sure how good their actual courses are :biggrin:
Hope that helps!

Im still not sure about the Chemical Engineering, because Maths is i think my strongest subject, but originally i wanted to study something related to only Biology and Chemistry so im still thinking about all the options :biggrin: i did ask my teacher about Chemical Engineering though and it didnt interest me too much , so i dont know, ugh so stressful xD Im planning on applying to 3 unis in Edinburgh and then 2 to Glasgow so i was just struggling with the order of my choices. Anyway, i still have a year to think about it so hopefully i'll get it sorted :biggrin: what uni's did you apply to? :smile:
Original post by bb208
Im still not sure about the Chemical Engineering, because Maths is i think my strongest subject, but originally i wanted to study something related to only Biology and Chemistry so im still thinking about all the options :biggrin: i did ask my teacher about Chemical Engineering though and it didnt interest me too much , so i dont know, ugh so stressful xD Im planning on applying to 3 unis in Edinburgh and then 2 to Glasgow so i was just struggling with the order of my choices. Anyway, i still have a year to think about it so hopefully i'll get it sorted :biggrin: what uni's did you apply to? :smile:

Genetics is a mix of biology and chemistry so you could look into that although I don't think there are many job opportunities with that degree xD
Ahh okay, are you from Edinburgh? :smile:
Yeah don't stress, you've still got plenty of time to think about it :biggrin:
I'm applying for Geography to Edinburgh, Glasgow, St Andrews, Aberdeen and Dundee because they are the only unis in Scotland that actually offer the course :P
Reply 6
Genetics is a mix of biology and chemistry so you could look into that although I don't think there are many job opportunities with that degree xD
Ahh okay, are you from Edinburgh? :smile:
Yeah don't stress, you've still got plenty of time to think about it :biggrin:
I'm applying for Geography to Edinburgh, Glasgow, St Andrews, Aberdeen and Dundee because they are the only unis in Scotland that actually offer the course :P

Yeah, i have to look into employability too :biggrin: no, but i live about 20 minutes away by car, so its relatively close :smile: are you from Edinburgh? and are you planning on staying in the halls? So thats you sorted then xD how long does it take for uni's to get back to you whether its a conditional or unconditional offer?
Original post by bb208
Yeah, i have to look into employability too :biggrin: no, but i live about 20 minutes away by car, so its relatively close :smile: are you from Edinburgh? and are you planning on staying in the halls? So thats you sorted then xD how long does it take for uni's to get back to you whether its a conditional or unconditional offer?

Same! I live just outside of Edinburgh, takes about 30 mins to get into town by car :smile:
If I go to Edinburgh or Glasgow I'll be staying at home because I don't want to move out xD but if I go elsewhere then I'll have to :frown:
It depends really, anything from an hour after you send your application to 4 months :P
Reply 8
Same! I live just outside of Edinburgh, takes about 30 mins to get into town by car :smile:
If I go to Edinburgh or Glasgow I'll be staying at home because I don't want to move out xD but if I go elsewhere then I'll have to :frown:
It depends really, anything from an hour after you send your application to 4 months :P

I actually want to move out, it seems like a fresh new start from me, i just hope i find a poor soul that is willing to live with me xD and i'm planning to stay in the halls for the first year even if i go to Edinburgh because i heard its the best way to find new friends and im always up for that :biggrin: but it also depends about the price of it all, i heard in Glasgow you pay a lot less than in Edinburgh
Original post by bb208
I actually want to move out, it seems like a fresh new start from me, i just hope i find a poor soul that is willing to live with me xD and i'm planning to stay in the halls for the first year even if i go to Edinburgh because i heard its the best way to find new friends and im always up for that :biggrin: but it also depends about the price of it all, i heard in Glasgow you pay a lot less than in Edinburgh

Ah okay fair enough, I'm a bit of a daddy's girl so I'm not ready to move out yet xD
Yeaah that's true, although it depends on the type of accommodation, location etc :smile:
Reply 10
Ah okay fair enough, I'm a bit of a daddy's girl so I'm not ready to move out yet xD
Yeaah that's true, although it depends on the type of accommodation, location etc :smile:

Well you're going to have to sooner or later so its just a matter of time :smile: but atleast you will have more time to prepare for it :biggrin: so do you have any plans for after uni or not really? :P
Original post by bb208
Well you're going to have to sooner or later so its just a matter of time :smile: but atleast you will have more time to prepare for it :biggrin: so do you have any plans for after uni or not really? :P

Well I want to go on to do a Masters which should take an extra year after I finish my degree and then look for a job but lets see what happens xD
What about you? Do you have any plans? :smile:
Reply 12
Well I want to go on to do a Masters which should take an extra year after I finish my degree and then look for a job but lets see what happens xD
What about you? Do you have any plans? :smile:

I want to do pretty much the same thing but after that im planning on moving country although in not too sure where yet :biggrin: but thats far off in the future xD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending