Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Advice with a career in finance ...please! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi folks looking for some advice on what my options are with a finance degree.

I graduated in the summer with a 2.1 in Finance with Economics. Initially, I thought i couldn't handle a career in the financial sector but its quickly becoming apparent that I don't have a whole host of good viable alternatives.

Essentially I see finance in this way, I could apply and potentially work back office (operations etc) and essentially be stuck there to an extent with not much room for changing.

Alternatively I could work in other departments of the banks lets say Finance, where I would need to study for an ICAS or some other pro qualification. Now my problem here is that I don't enjoy finance enough to have my life consumed by it. I don't want to work 8-6 then come home and study for pro exams all night and rinse and repeat for years. That is no way to live in my eyes.

However, I feel if i don't succumb to it, I run the risk of being stuck in a job going nowhere in a hurry.

So essentially I am looking for some advice on career options in finance and whether or not you folks believe I need to accept I am going have to study for even more years after university......

What is the thoughts ? I'd appreciate any help. I am spinning in circles trying to figure out what to do and as the time passes the chances of landing a job diminish further and further.

Please and Thanks folks.

ReputationRep:
    That thing with studying ... it happens to all roles not just finance learning is part of your life. For example my plans are as follows: finish my UG degree, do a MSc in Quant Finance, get my CFA, get my Cert. in Quant Finance, start my PhD work for a while switch to academics at around 45-50 years old and help others to understand finance and economics while also acting as a consultant for (hopefully) decision makers in finance.

Seeing that you have no drive to work in finance I believe you will struggle a lot to get a job. NEVER study something that you are not passionate about. I suggest looking at learning and personal development as something as natural as breathing or drinking water. Understand all the roles you can get in Finance because this sector is extremely complex and enjoyable. If you really do not find anything that attracts you to finance change careers, do a conversion course or something do something that you like. If you finished finance you do not have to work in finance. Your life is yours and you can shape it the way you want.

Hope it helps!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.