Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How do I take physics A-level as a private candidate? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've got an A in AS physics A last year. I'm currently in year 13 and dropped physics to a2. I regret that decision but my school won't allow me to change it. Is there any way I can take physics independently, are they any complications with the practical. If i can do it this year will i be able to do it next year during my gap year. I've hear that there will be changes to the examination process. If someone could clear that out for me i would appreciate it. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _JOKER_)
    I've got an A in AS physics A last year. I'm currently in year 13 and dropped physics to a2. I regret that decision but my school won't allow me to change it. Is there any way I can take physics independently, are they any complications with the practical. If i can do it this year will i be able to do it next year during my gap year. I've hear that there will be changes to the examination process. If someone could clear that out for me i would appreciate it. Thanks
    You could teach yourself and then take the exams as a private candidate in summer 2016.
    You'll have to find a centre to take the exams and pay for them of course, typical costs are around £50 per exam. The major difficulty will be finding a centre to take the practicals, there are a few but they can be expensive.
    If you don't complete the A level in summer 2016 you'd have to take the new full linear A level exams if you decided to try it in a gap year or later.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    You could teach yourself and then take the exams as a private candidate in summer 2016.
    You'll have to find a centre to take the exams and pay for them of course, typical costs are around £50 per exam. The major difficulty will be finding a centre to take the practicals, there are a few but they can be expensive.
    If you don't complete the A level in summer 2016 you'd have to take the new full linear A level exams if you decided to try it in a gap year or later.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If I decide to take in the gap year would that mean by AS won't count and are there any changes to the practicals

ReputationRep:
    If I decide to take in the gap year would that mean by AS won't count and are there any changes to the practicals
    Yes if you take the new linear A level your existing AS results won't count towards the final grade. You will be tested on the full 2 years of content so will have to revise much of what you learnt in AS.
    The practicals are completely different and don't count towards the A level grade, you are just awarded a pass or fail for the assessment of practical skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes if you take the new linear A level your existing AS results won't count towards the final grade. You will be tested on the full 2 years of content so will have to revise much of what you learnt in AS.
    The practicals are completely different and don't count towards the A level grade, you are just awarded a pass or fail for the assessment of practical skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've already sent of my ucas application so if i take up a2 physics now how would that affect my application. How do i let my unis know that im doing another a2.

ReputationRep:
    I've already sent of my ucas application so if i take up a2 physics now how would that affect my application. How do i let my unis know that im doing another a2.
    You have to inform UCAS and your university admissions staff directly
    https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu...making-changes

You should not inform them until you have decide to go ahead and have successfully made the arrangements. If you already have offers when you finally decide what to do, the conditions of the offer could be changed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You have to inform UCAS and your university admissions staff directly
    https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu...making-changes

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ahh right thanks for your help.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.