Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

More Disability Cuts Maybe? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-reforms.html

It looks like Ian Duncan Smith is standing his corner vs George Osborne. It is rumored that £2 Billion worth of cuts is going to come from welfare. Well what could be the options?

We only need to go back to the BBC leak to get an idea.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32084722

Make Personal Independence Payment / Attendance Allowance Taxable.
    Saves 1.5 Billion.
    Make Carers Allowance only eligible to those who claim Universal Credit.
    Saves 1 Billion.
    Privatize the Industrial Injuries payment scheme by using a insurance provider.
    Saves 1 Billion.

I personally think they are going to do all 3. Its all they really can do without going after the golden goose. The down side will be Ian Duncan Smith will go down in history as the new Angel of Death for disabled people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)

It looks like Ian Duncan Smith is standing his corner vs George Osborne. It is rumored that £2 Billion worth of cuts is going to come from welfare. Well what could be the options?

Saves 1.5 Billion.
    Saves 1 Billion.
    Saves 1 Billion.

I personally think they are going to do all 3. Its all they really can do without going after the golden goose. The down side will be Ian Duncan Smith will go down in history as the new Angel of Death for disabled people.
    Maybe?

Maybe the lizard people will come to get you?

Do You have learning difficulties?

ReputationRep:

Saves 1.5 Billion.
    Saves 1 Billion.
    Saves 1 Billion.

'Angel of Death'? You comparing welfare cuts to Nazi SS crimes against humanity? You've come out with some stupid sensationalist **** in the past but this takes the biscuit.

ReputationRep:

Saves 1.5 Billion.
    Saves 1 Billion.
    Saves 1 Billion.

Josef Mengele was the "Angel of Death".
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josef_Mengele

You take a valid point (cuts in welfare) and proceed to turn it into absolute nonsense. If the left actually managed to debate properly they would get much further.

If you stop comparing a center-right government to the far right Nazis at every chance, regardless of whether it makes sense or not, you would get further when criticising their ideological stance. Hysteria tends to turn people off listening to you.

If the left stopped complaining about globalisation like the recent anonymous march but also left their expensive jackets/trainers from multinationals at home, their iphones at home, and weren't queuing outside McDonalds, perhaps people would take them seriously.

If the left actually stopped to listen to the message they were saying they would see how foolish it is far too often, but small steps-just don't descend into mass hysteria and hypocrisy for now.

ReputationRep:

Saves 1.5 Billion.
    Saves 1 Billion.
    Saves 1 Billion.

(Original post by i<3milkshake)
    Josef Mengele was the "Angel of Death".
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josef_Mengele

You take a valid point (cuts in welfare) and proceed to turn it into absolute nonsense. If the left actually managed to debate properly they would get much further.

If you stop comparing a center-right government to the far right Nazis at every chance, regardless of whether it makes sense or not, you would get further when criticising their ideological stance. Hysteria tends to turn people off listening to you.

If the left stopped complaining about globalisation like the recent anonymous march but also left their expensive jackets/trainers from multinationals at home, their iphones at home, and weren't queuing outside McDonalds, perhaps people would take them seriously.

If the left actually stopped to listen to the message they were saying they would see how foolish it is far too often, but small steps-just don't descend into mass hysteria and hypocrisy for now.
    The Nazi's was not that far right. Economically they are to the left of the conservatives but are facist, it is lazy branding, like the BNP is described as far right but are one of the most left wing economic parties going.

ReputationRep:

Saves 1.5 Billion.
    Saves 1 Billion.
    Saves 1 Billion.

Frankly Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit should be closed down to new claims. It is a product of a different age.

It is a contributory benefit so it isn't paid according to need. You need a full NI record so it frequently does not benefit the poorest.

It is paid for accidents at work and industrial diseases and I comment on both.

It is an obscure benefit and noticeably a large proportion of claims for accidents at work come from a few, mostly public sector, occupations e.g. the police and post office that already have comprehensive ill health retirement schemes

It is an expensive and inefficient money circulation scheme because it is paid for injuries that are the subject of civil personal injuries claims where the past but not future benefits are repayable by the employer's insurers.

It is vastly expensive to operate compared with the money that is paid out because of the phenomenally complicated but opaque assessment process.

There is clear favouritism in those industrial diseases for which payments can be made. Work-related stress has never made the list nor has any form of lower back pain in manual handling industries yet mining continues to add new diseases. The latest addition to the list is osteoarthritis of the knee so we have doctors assessing how much of some 75 year ex-miner's arthritis is due to his work and how much to the fact he is 75. Yet no other job that involves kneeling in wet conditions gets a look in for this illness.. Between 2002-11 there were 90,000 industrial disease claims for the entire country. 30,000 of these were from ex-miners for osteoarthritis of the knee in the period 2009-11. This is a benefit that depends on your industry having friends in the right places.

The benefit was created long before the Health and Safety at Work etc Act when employers were not necessarily insured for PI claims and it was hard to prove breach of duty on the part of employers.

ReputationRep:
    Tory Britain 2015 just prepare for the worse in the next 5 years

ReputationRep:
    What concerns me personally are the cuts to mental health services like CAMHS. I have Aspergers and Anxiety so I went through CAMHS myself. They even told my mum that they had to pass me onto a different dept. because of cuts. That was 5 years ago so I dread to think of the position it's in now. I was speaking to a Welsh AM Candidate and apparently it's even worse in Wales!

I'm not going to say that the Conservatives are evil, or demonise people like Cameron & Osborne. The simple fact is that none of the people making the decisions have ever been in poverty and with the education they had it's unlikely they've ever associated with working class people either. So they don't understand what it's like to struggle for money. Unfortunately it's unlikely that they ever will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emiloujess)
    What concerns me personally are the cuts to mental health services like CAMHS. I have Aspergers and Anxiety so I went through CAMHS myself. They even told my mum that they had to pass me onto a different dept. because of cuts. That was 5 years ago so I dread to think of the position it's in now. I was speaking to a Welsh AM Candidate and apparently it's even worse in Wales!

I'm not going to say that the Conservatives are evil, or demonise people like Cameron & Osborne. The simple fact is that none of the people making the decisions have ever been in poverty and with the education they had it's unlikely they've ever associated with working class people either. So they don't understand what it's like to struggle for money. Unfortunately it's unlikely that they ever will.
    You forget that the government got voted in by the largest single group of the public. They have a mandate for what they're doing.

I come from a working class background and I agree whole heartedly what is being done because I realise spending money you don't have is a recipe for disaster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    You forget that the government got voted in by the largest single group of the public. They have a mandate for what they're doing.

I come from a working class background and I agree whole heartedly what is being done because I realise spending money you don't have is a recipe for disaster.
    So you agree with disabled children not recieving the help they need? I despair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emiloujess)
    So you agree with disabled children not recieving the help they need? I despair.
    I believe in living within our means.

I believe in not borrowing money you don't have and expecting future generations having to clear the debt.

ReputationRep:
    Cutting money from disability budgets is disgusting when you can save the 4 billion elsewhere

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Cutting money from disability budgets is disgusting when you can save the 4 billion elsewhere

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Notice the way that the OP has used the word 'maybe'

Out of interest where do you think cuts should be made.

ReputationRep:

No cuts should be made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    No cuts should be made.
    Well, the government has a mandate from the electorate to balance the books.

Even the SNP has chosen to accept the cuts.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster

Stop sending money we can't afford to other countries for a start.

ReputationRep:
    Well, the government has a mandate from the electorate to balance the books.

Even the SNP has chosen to accept the cuts.
    Then I expect to see things like BTL mortgage interest tax relief cut, achieving the balanced books while hurting only people who are relatively well off and whose money is made via rentiership.

ReputationRep:
    Then I expect to see things like BTL mortgage interest tax relief cut, achieving the balanced books while hurting only people who are relatively well off and whose money is made via rentiership.
    People who are relatively well off are already more than paying their way.

Looks like Osbourne has already beaten you to it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...-less-tax.html

You'll still complain though won't you.

ReputationRep:
    People who are relatively well off are already more than paying their way.

Looks like Osbourne has already beaten you to it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...-less-tax.html

You'll still complain though won't you.
    Yes I know he did and I praised him for it when the budget came out, but yes I will still complain: it needs to go altogether. (By the way, we should never stop complaining, as complaining is how you get the government to do things. Powerful people and organisations complain all the time, they just call it lobbying.)

Anything similar needs to go too, rentiership is a cancer on capitalism and until it is taxed away "competitive" markets will never deliver the benefits they are supposed to. Abolish income tax in favour of a land tax.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I know he did and I praised him for it when the budget came out, but yes I will still complain: it needs to go altogether. (By the way, we should never stop complaining, as complaining is how you get the government to do things. Powerful people and organisations complain all the time, they just call it lobbying.)

Anything similar needs to go too, rentiership is a cancer on capitalism and until it is taxed away "competitive" markets will never deliver the benefits they are supposed to. Abolish income tax in favour of a land tax.
    Rent is taxed.

When you talk of land tax, you do realise that farmers would get crucified as would the national trust.

Would a land tax mean that my pension and other investments would be tax free?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.