Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Applying for primary pgce autumn 2016...have I got everything?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am hoping to apply for a primary pgce next year and I want to make sure I have everything.

I am completing a PhD in bioscience.
    I have a 2:1 in biology.
    My school qualifications are Irish but I believe they convert.

With regards to work experience. What did people actually do?
    As I work, I am a reading volunteer one day per week at a local school.
    Does this count? Is it enough? What else should I do?

Any help will be much appreciated :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaunagh1)
    I am hoping to apply for a primary pgce next year and I want to make sure I have everything.

I am completing a PhD in bioscience.
    I have a 2:1 in biology.
    My school qualifications are Irish but I believe they convert.

With regards to work experience. What did people actually do?
    As I work, I am a reading volunteer one day per week at a local school.
    Does this count? Is it enough? What else should I do?

Any help will be much appreciated :-)
    Hey there,

Do you also have the equivalent of a GCSE in maths and English? You'll need those to study a Primary PGCE. You'll also need a minimum of 10 days work experience in a school but it sounds like you've got that covered. If your reading volunteer work keeps you out of the classroom listening to individual readers it might be worthwhile trying to get some experience just observing the class teacher. Through observations you'll be able to get ideas for behaviour management, differentiation, challenge etc.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I have the equivalent to an english gcse. For my maths, i got a D at gcse level but an A at A level. I'm assuming that should be ok.

Do I need 10 full days sitting in on lessons? Is that usually easy to arrange?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaunagh1)
    I have the equivalent to an english gcse. For my maths, i got a D at gcse level but an A at A level. I'm assuming that should be ok.

Do I need 10 full days sitting in on lessons? Is that usually easy to arrange?

Thanks
    I think you need to have a maths GCSE (Grade A*-C) even if you have an A-Level. If you got an A at A-Level then I'd imagine you'll be able to re-sit a GCSE without any bother. Some universities offer equivalency exams too.

I think getting some classroom experience would be a really good idea, even if it's not compulsory. As part of the interview process you may well have to teach a mini-lesson to a class so it would be handy to pick up behaviour management techniques etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bellylaugh)
    I think you need to have a maths GCSE (Grade A*-C) even if you have an A-Level. If you got an A at A-Level then I'd imagine you'll be able to re-sit a GCSE without any bother. Some universities offer equivalency exams too.

I think getting some classroom experience would be a really good idea, even if it's not compulsory. As part of the interview process you may well have to teach a mini-lesson to a class so it would be handy to pick up behaviour management techniques etc.
    My main issue is I can't afford to re-sit a gcse. Everywhere I look it seems so expensive.

In Ireland we sit 6 A levels, rather than 3 so I was hoping to use my maths from that to make up for the lack of gcse as I still have 5 other A levels covered anyway.

Who do I contact about that? I have spoken to the uni I hope to go to and they're not sure about grade equivalencies

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 8, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.