Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Exam Seating Arrangements watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I suffer from anxiety related to sound and possibly hyperacusis. Therefore, for exams, I would like separate seating. But the thing is, if I had a separate room, I think the noises may affect me more because they are louder in the smaller room than the big hall. I mean, I'm not sure if it would make much difference but it seems to. So I would rather be still in the hall, but placed at the end of the hall, so I would not feel so vulnerable, as last year I was always right in the centre which made me more panicky as I was more surrounded by the noises. The thing is, when I tried to ask for this last year, the exam people refused. One said it was because it would be difficult to do this for me because there's already a set seating list and the other said it was because the doctor recommended 'a quieter environment,' but he said I would be 'free to do so' with respect to remaining in the hall and he strongly recommended that I take the separate room instead.

I have a feeling if I go to the doctor and explain the situation, they will be able to write a note explaining exactly what would be best for me and how anxiety-triggering the other two options are. That way, hopefully they would have no excuse to refuse my wishes because the doctor has recommended it based on my panic and anxiety. I'm still worried they would reject it though because they did say it may be too difficult. I will be really upset if they don't let me because I know it would be the best for me and would relieve a tonne of anxiety, both before and during the exams.

I do have ear plugs, but they still don't block out everything, even though they help a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faby96)
    What's your question? :fluffy:

Would it help if you took mock exams (presuming you have them) in the different conditions (e.g. 1 at back of hall, 1 in separate room, etc.) and see how you feel about each one?

I have my own room, and find it helps massively - but of course my triggers are different to yours, so this may not be the case. At secondary school I was at the back of the hall, in the corner, and this didn't work - I've been in separate rooms ever since :yep:

The exams people seem to rely heavily on the doctor's letter, where you are, so like you say - it's probably worth getting a doctor to explain the situation better.

If they say it's too much effort, it's a little pathetic, as all they have to do is move a paper from one desk to the other

ReputationRep:
    I think I was just looking for other people's opinions and experience

I got a doctor's note saying explicitly I should have a private room but if this is not possible then I should be seated at the front corner of the exam hall. The wellbeing advisor said it wouldn't be possible to adjust my position in the hall but said she would try and get a private room for me. So now I'm waiting for the department to e-mail me to confirm this.

I feel this would resolve everything.

It is a 'reasonable adjustment' and the doctor's note explicitly requests it so hopefully I'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    try having a chat to the support services and seeing what they can do and what would feel best for you.

I always feel better when I'm in the main room if im at the edges because I only have one side to pay attention to. Smaller rooms tend to annoy me a bit because they are not set up properly and are full of other distractions. For me the added complication of being somewhere different each time doesn't help either. That said i now get a separate room and somebody to write for me so its all different now.

i would have thought it possible to put you at the edge, you just need to ask in the right way. When i was first diagnosed with depression i was really unsure what could be done to help me and my support centre helped me work it out.

have you tried wax earplugs btw? I find them much better than foam ones.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still waiting for confirmation on having a private room. But because I'm not used to it, I'll need to know EXACTLY what will happen, otherwise me, with my anxiety disorder, will get even more worked up. So if they do confirm it, I intend to ask them if they could specify the distance between myself and the invigilator, that they will be in front of me, and that they won't be wandering around me during the exam. I feel like I'm asking for too much but my anxiety and panic has been wild lately so I would just like to be put at rest.

I do try wax ones. They are good, but even last year when I used them I was still panicky.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    With private rooms, you may still have a few students in the room with you. But they'd have similar arrangements. IE, extra time.

I remember having extra time and being put in a smaller room. Except, most people didn't have extra time and were leaving whilst I was still working. Needless to say, I was not impressed.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.