Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

In the UK, why was pedophilia just ignored (in the past)... ? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    - With the Saville fiascos, where people obviously knew but said and did nothing.

- With boarding school boys being raped by their headmasters and people knowing but doing nothing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ook-grave.html

- Very obvious fiascos in the Church.

Obviously, we are very protective of kids these days and rightly so, but in the past why did people just ignore such matters and just not speak?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I think a lot of people thought they just wouldn't be believed. It's one of those things where you don't have any concrete evidence as such. Whereas with murder, you have DNA, fingerprints, etc. With paedophilia, it's really one person's word against another.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    I think a lot of people thought they just wouldn't be believed. It's one of those things where you don't have any concrete evidence as such. Whereas with murder, you have DNA, fingerprints, etc. With paedophilia, it's really one person's word against another.
    Yeah that is fair enough.

But of these cases I mentioned above, the crimes were often systemic and commonplace. Obviously behind closed doors, but the victims were multiple within institutions. Could it be that in the past we were just more afraid to challenge authorities? I.e. Because these figures arguably held more (perhaps undeserved) respect in the past?

ReputationRep:
    I think it comes down to the classic problem of authority being untouchable. It's only relatively recently that this has started to become challenged. Sexual abuse is an extreme form; but it also involves lesser forms of sexual harassment, general bullying financial corruption and so on. Most people at some point in their lives will see something go on eg in a workplace that is just not right but see it go unchallenged because the person doing it is in a position of power and has a level of respect and if you are a relative nonentity it is hard to speak out because you won't be believed or will be branded a troublemaker.

The big point to take is, don't get sucked in to accepting "that's just the way it is" and let malpractice by authorities go unchallenged as this is what happens.

I think children are viewed more differently now than they were in the past. Now people often say children have too much power and in some schools they run amok and teachers are afraid to challenge them because of the headmaster, local authority, parents, courts coming down on them if they try to discipline a child but in past times discipline was very much enforced and all those groups would give the backing to teachers. This may have been good in ways of instilling manners and respect but it also meant a culture of "children should be seen and not heard" and a child reporting abuse from a teacher was unlikely to be believed or taken seriously. So it is swings and roundabouts.

ReputationRep:
    pedophilia in the uk is ignored just like rape and sexual assaults because they don't take it serious and don't want to deal with it. a third of britons even say rape is partly or completely the fault of the victim.

So pedophilia and other sexual crime will continue to thrive in briton.

VIP pedophile ring involving politicians:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...eenage-4721479

ReputationRep:
    This thread has my nomination for this year's 'TSR Sunday Morning Vibes' award.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad)
    This thread has my nomination for this year's 'TSR Sunday Morning Vibes' award.
    Aye, just what you want to read when listening to Sunday Love Songs on the radio, and sipping fresh coffee with your current squeeze before she gets dressed and skips off to Sunday School.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    Aye, just what you want to read when listening to Sunday Love Songs on the radio, and sipping fresh coffee with your current squeeze before she gets dressed and skips off to Sunday School.

I'm more worried about OP's state of mind on a Sunday morning!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad)
    I'm more worried about OP's state of mind on a Sunday morning!
    Indeed, I agree with you. Not a happy way to start a Sunday.

I blame the Daily Mail web site. For most things, actually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    I blame the Daily Mail web site. For most things, actually.
    That isn't a bad philosophy at all, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I think with Jimmy Savile, he had friends in the police, and also his threats along the lines of 'you wouldn't want all my charity work to stop because of some untrue allegation' may have put some people off.

ReputationRep:
    Jimmy saville is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to pedophilia is britain

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.