Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Q) Show the following statement:
    "At least two students in a class of 200 have birthdays on the same or on consecutive days"

Attempt:

I know the pigeonhole principle states:
    "if n items are put into m containers, with n > m, then at least one container must contain more than one item."

So in this case I thought the pigeons would be the 200 students and the holes would be the potential days. However I don't really know how to define the days.

I know that 200>#days to show that at least 2 students have birthdays on the same or consecutive days, a hint would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by randlemcmurphy)
    Q) Show the following statement:
    "At least two students in a class of 200 have birthdays on the same or on consecutive days"

Attempt:

I know the pigeonhole principle states:
    "if n items are put into m containers, with n > m, then at least one container must contain more than one item."

So in this case I thought the pigeons would be the 200 students and the holes would be the potential days. However I don't really know how to define the days.

I know that 200>#days to show that at least 2 students have birthdays on the same or consecutive days, a hint would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    As you surmised, the key is in what are the pigeonholes.

Clearly, a single day won't suffice - hope that's sufficient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    As you surmised, the key is in what are the pigeonholes.

Clearly, a single day won't suffice - hope that's sufficient.
    I'm probably over-complicating it but:

If I was to take the odd days in a year (i'll assume it is a leap year).
    So 1,3,5,7,9....,365

a=b OR b=a+1

So person a has a birthday on an odd day and b has it on the same day OR person b has a birthday on an even day, 1 day after a who had his/her birthday on an odd day.

In a leap year the number of odd days are 187 since 200>187 it follows that there are at least 2 students who have their birthday on the same day or consecutive days.
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by randlemcmurphy)
    I'm probably over-complicating it but:

If I was to take the odd days in a year (i'll assume it is a leap year).
    So 1,3,5,7,9....,365

a=b OR b=a+1

So person a has a birthday on an odd day and b has it on the same day OR person b has a birthday on an even day, 1 day after a who had his/her birthday on an odd day.

In a leap year the number of odd days are 187 since 200>187 it follows that there are at least 2 students who have their birthday on the same day or consecutive days.
    Sorry, I'm struggling to follow what you've done there.

Alternatively, and I suspect this may be what you're aiming at:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Partition the year into pairs of days, {1,2}, {3,4}, etc. With potentially a singleton at the end {365}. These are our pigeonholes.
    There are 183 of them.
    etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    Sorry, I'm struggling to follow what you've done there.

Alternatively, and I suspect this may be what you're aiming at:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Partition the year into pairs of days, {1,2}, {3,4}, etc. With potentially a singleton at the end {365}. These are our pigeonholes.
    There are 187 of them.
    etc.
    That is what I was aiming for, I should have realized straight away to do what you did. I was thinking along the same lines but my written explanation wasn't too good!

Thanks for your help!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 8, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.