Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are you wearing a poppy this week? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Why are/aren't you wearing a poppy for remembrance day?

I'm going to wear one. But I'm still yet to buy a badge :innocent:

ReputationRep:
    I will on November 11th, to remember those who have died in war, including six relatives, only one of whom was on military service.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. I think they're ugly and I'd rather not give money to the British Legion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aamirac)
    I'm going to wear one. But I'm still yet to buy a badge :innocent:
    (Original post by DarkMagic)
    Can I ask why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    I will on November 11th, to remember those who have died in war, including six relatives, only one of whom was on military service.
    Which war was it? WW2?

ReputationRep:
    I can remember people in my own head - I don't need to show everybody that I'm thinking of those who died in order to do it. Got shouted at once for not wearing one; I'm pretty sure a lot of people just do it to try to give the impression they care more than others. It sounds cynical but it's a larger scale version of when people change their Facebook photos to show support of some 'popular' cause. Well done on giving 20p to buy your poppy, just so you can look down on those who don't have one. I tend to give money but don't want the poppy - I'm not against the symbol etc, it's just that I don't feel the need to tell everybody I'm donating or thinking about it.

I'm strange.

Note: Clearly, not everybody is like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little_wizard123)
    I can remember people in my own head - I don't need to show everybody that I'm thinking of those who died in order to do it. Got shouted at once for not wearing one; I'm pretty sure a lot of people just do it to try to give the impression they care more than others. It sounds cynical but it's a larger scale version of when people change their Facebook photos to show support of some 'popular' cause. Well done on giving 20p to buy your poppy, just so you can look down on those who don't have one. I tend to give money but don't want the poppy - I'm not against the symbol etc, it's just that I don't feel the need to tell everybody I'm donating or thinking about it.

I'm strange.

I know what you mean. Feels self righteous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little_wizard123)

I'm strange.

This is what I'm doing tbh, might give a fiver or something to the appeal but I'm not going to wear the poppy itself.

No. For a lot of people it seems to just be for show, so I'll not. But I have my cross to put at the cenotaph on Wednesday.

Any particular reason?

ReputationRep:
    Mate they're pointless and stupid
    Only reason why MOST people wear them is for fashion
    There's a million other things you can spend your money on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AK 12)
    Mate they're pointless and stupid
    Only reason why MOST people wear them is for fashion
    There's a million other things you can spend your money on
    you should spend some money on politeness lessons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    Can I ask why?
    (Original post by Tootles)
    Any particular reason?
    I'm Irish .

ReputationRep:
    I'm Irish .
    many brave Irishmen sacrificed their lives in the First and Second World Wars.

ReputationRep:
    I'm Irish .
    Ahh there's beef towards the British Legion then. Republic or Northern?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    many brave Irishmen sacrificed their lives in the First and Second World Wars.
    They did, and I respect them for that, but many brave Irishmen were killed by the British, so I refuse to wear or pay for a symbol that shows respect to them.

ReputationRep:
    They did, and I respect them for that, but many brave Irishmen were killed by the British, so I refuse to wear or pay for a symbol that shows respect to them.
    it's great you are using a British website.

ReputationRep:
    The chances of these lefty traitors wearing a poppy is the same as aliens arriving on earth today.

Never hope that a left winger would do anything to remember those who fought against fascism

I support always wearing a poppy and donating to the appeal

ReputationRep:
    if i dont wear one everyone calls me a terrorist so

ReputationRep:
    I do wear one on Remembrance Day because we have to at school
    I don't wear one normally because it falls off and I lose it within two hours so I gave up

Respect anyone's decision to not wear one, though

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.