Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. I've received conditional offers from both Bath and Edinburgh for chemical engineering, but I am finding it difficult to choose between one of them. I haven't personally been to any of these two places, but I've heard great things (and not so great things :X) about both.

Bath / A*AA, [5 Years MEng + year in placement]:
    Unistats rating: 100%
    From what I've read, lecturers/professors are all very friendly and the course itself is amazing. The city is beautiful and relatively quiet (as compared to London), and there are plenty of clubs and societies. Bath is also very well known for being sports-heavy. My only concern for Bath, really, is whether or not it stacks up to Edinburgh in terms of prestige. How important is prestige in terms of employment rates? Bath has very strong links to industry, but being an international student, I'm not exactly sure that it will be as easy for me to get a job in the UK.

Edinburgh [5 Years MEng] / AAA:
    Unistats rating: 69%
    Edinburgh is well known for a lively city-atmosphere and beautiful, mountainous sceneries (though i haven't seen it for myself). There is a huge number of clubs, societies and sports activities in the university. The university itself is incredibly prestigious and is very well known worldwide.

However from what I've read and heard, the course isn't that great because the lecturers are "cold and unapproachable" and lack passion for their subject. This is obviously a huge concern because I'm going to be possibly spending the next 5 years of my life under these lecturers. I think the teaching is the main reason for its low ratings on unistats. I also read somewhere else that the University is 'cold and depressing': How true is this?
    It' be great if current students of either of these universities could shed some light on the negatives, or give an account of your overall experiences so far (teaching, lifestyle, facilities, social). Hopefully this will help not only myself, but also others in my position to make a decision

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.