The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Sussex or Essex

I've applied for both Essex and Sussex to study Criminology next year, and I'm finding it so hard to choose between the two, I've visited both open days and I felt like they were both equal with advantages and disadvantages, has anyone got any advice :')? Thanks
I'd say Sussex it seems a bit more prestige but I may be being biased as I'm hoping to go there next year fingers crossed!

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Hey! I'm a first year studying Psychology at Sussex.
For me personally I believe that you really won't know which one was best for you until you're there! Some days I'm extremely happy with my choice, sometimes I question whether things would be better at another university, I think you'll always make comparisons when things go bad!
I found it SO hard when making a firm choice as just like you, both of my choices had equal pros and cons. In the end, I went with what pros I felt were more important.
Which bits of criminology do you find most interesting - find out which uni offers more modules in this area. Do you prefer essays or exams? Find out the weighting of both on your final grade - this was a big swaying factor for me.
For me, I believe the course is most important, and the area second. Loving where you live makes settling in that little bit more bearable. In terms of area, which did you prefer?

Let me know if you'd like to know anything about Sussex/Brighton! :smile:
Original post by ChloeLouisee
Hey! I'm a first year studying Psychology at Sussex.
For me personally I believe that you really won't know which one was best for you until you're there! Some days I'm extremely happy with my choice, sometimes I question whether things would be better at another university, I think you'll always make comparisons when things go bad!
I found it SO hard when making a firm choice as just like you, both of my choices had equal pros and cons. In the end, I went with what pros I felt were more important.
Which bits of criminology do you find most interesting - find out which uni offers more modules in this area. Do you prefer essays or exams? Find out the weighting of both on your final grade - this was a big swaying factor for me.
For me, I believe the course is most important, and the area second. Loving where you live makes settling in that little bit more bearable. In terms of area, which did you prefer?

Let me know if you'd like to know anything about Sussex/Brighton! :smile:

Thank you so much for your help! I was wondering if you had any opinions on accommodation such as brighthelm and northfield and their pros and cons because I wanna stay somewhere where its social but preferably with an en suite
Original post by Angel_N345
I'd say Sussex it seems a bit more prestige but I may be being biased as I'm hoping to go there next year fingers crossed!Posted from TSR Mobile

Sussex has a better reputation. Neither is 'prestigious'.
Original post by Chloegalloway
I've applied for both Essex and Sussex to study Criminology next year, and I'm finding it so hard to choose between the two, I've visited both open days and I felt like they were both equal with advantages and disadvantages, has anyone got any advice :':wink:? Thanks

They are in very different places -

Brighton is coastal and there are loads of clubs as well as the 'Lanes' - holiday makers/language school students can make some areas very [too] busy.

Essex is just outside Colchester which is much smaller place - less touristy but that might be more pleasant.
Original post by Chloegalloway
I've applied for both Essex and Sussex to study Criminology next year, and I'm finding it so hard to choose between the two, I've visited both open days and I felt like they were both equal with advantages and disadvantages, has anyone got any advice :':wink:? Thanks

Sussex is the more presitigious uni by a long shot and Brighton is a better city by a long shot.
Thanks for all your help, i've picked sussex as my firm :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest