Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Musical instruments and gender... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    As a Musician, I thought this might make for an interesting thread...

From what I, and many others have observed, there is definitely a stereotype, or even stigma, attached to playing certain instruments, by gender. I wish there wasn't such a stigma attached to certain instruments, but it seems to be pretty well the case.

So three questions really:
    -Have you guys noticed a similar trend?
    -Why do you think this is the case?
    -What instruments would you classify as having a Masculine/ Feminine/ Gender Neutral image or reputation?

Based purely on observation and reputation, these are the most common pop/ orchestral/ band/ jazz instruments, I would classify as having "gender connotations" attached to them:

Very Feminine instruments:
    -Flute and Piccolo
    -Harp

Slightly feminine instruments:
    -Oboe
    -Clarinet
    -Violin

Gender neutral instruments:
    -Piano
    -Alto and Soprano Saxophone
    -Bassoon
    -Viola
    -Cello
    -French Horn

Slightly masculine instruments:
    -Guitar (acoustic and electric)
    -Trumpet
    -Tenor and Baritone Saxophone
    -Double Bass

Very Masculine instruments:
    -Trombone
    -Brass band horns, i.e Tenor, Baritone Horn etc.
    -Tuba
    -Bass Guitar
    -Drums

This does seem to be changing however, I have noticed a lot more boys playing Flute, and girls playing Trombone for example. One of the best drummers I've known was a very pretty girl at Uni

Discuss. And no trolling please

ReputationRep:
    I'm a female tenor horn player, in fact the entire horn section in my brass band is female! I do see your point though with some of them, there is probably some investigating needing to be done

ReputationRep:
    I consider bass guitar fairly neutral. I think mallet instruments are fairly feminine too.

ReputationRep:
    That's all rather sexist of you.😱

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.