Turn on thread page Beta

Why are people so judgmental about alternative life styles?? watch

Announcements

For example

-getting a tattoo (not all over your body, just even a small one on your wrist or ankle or something)
    -having a hairstyle that is not "respectable" (for women this can even be something like having shorter hair)
    -piercings
    -smoking
    -not having a 9 to 5 job in the office
    -vegans
    -caring about things that hurt the planet like animal rights, funding the arts, global warming etc.

Provided you are not harming anyone.why are people always so quick to judge I want to be a tattoo artist one day for instance, I will not be on benefits and starting a business will help the economy. Yet people see this as chavvy but if it was a middle class thing they would not mind

ReputationRep:
    What is the point in being different if you aren't going to be judged for being so?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not, love alternative culture that doesn't clash with my faith

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    For example

-getting a tattoo (not all over your body, just even a small one on your wrist or ankle or something)
    -having a hairstyle that is not "respectable" (for women this can even be something like having shorter hair)
    -piercings
    -smoking
    -vegans
    -caring about things that hurt the planet like animal rights, funding the arts, global warming etc.

Provided you are not harming anyone.why are people always so quick to judge I want to be a tattoo artist one day for instance, I will not be on benefits and starting a business will help the economy. Yet people see this as chavvy but if it was a middle class thing they would not mind
    Humans are just judgemental beings, we judge so much, even when we don't realise or think about it we judge, we judge on a micro level as well, for example, when you open the fridge to find something to eat you think "i hate this food, ooh but I like that, yum" or a cool car goes past and you judge it and compare it to your own etc.

we can be judgemental when we think someone's in the wrong, like we think worse of smokers, but everyone has their own reasons for doing things, and it doesn't make you better than them, so we should respect everyone's decisions

by being mindful we can reduce the amount of judgments we make
    but people don't get taught this stuff

ReputationRep:
    -smoking
    Well for that one you can pass harmful crap to other people as well as harming yerself. You're bound to get judged for doing something that's blatantly a bit stupid.

ReputationRep:
    For example

-piercings
    -smoking
    -vegans

you're judging people on benefits m8

ReputationRep:
    people are scared of what they don't understand

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by william walker)
    What is the point in being different if you aren't going to be judged for being so?
    nailed it

(Original post by nohomo)
    you're judging people on benefits m8
    I don't I felt the need to explain because people do (esp on TSR)

ReputationRep:
    OP doesn;t understand what 'alternative lifestyles' actually means , the examples used are just chip on the shoulder 'nilla wannabe 'alternative' stuff...

and the last two examples annoy people becasue of baseless evangelism ...

ReputationRep:
    I know right? Where I live people will not hesitate to approach you and tell you how you should look! I had a random guy lecture me for 30 minutes, telling me to take all my piercings out because satan lives in me and I need jesus or whatever. And the cops treat you like sh!t because "you don't look 18 to be smoking"

(Original post by zippyRN)
    OP doesn;t understand what 'alternative lifestyles' actually means , the examples used are just chip on the shoulder 'nilla wannabe 'alternative' stuff...

and the last two examples annoy people becasue of baseless evangelism ...
    What would you say is alt?

I hate religious like things, religion has harmed the world

Because you want to be :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    For example

-piercings
    -smoking
    -vegans

well global warming isnt even caused by humans so.......

ReputationRep:
    http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...32/537/71b.jpg

ReputationRep:
    I dont think people are judgemental about those things, really.

ReputationRep:
    What would you say is alt?

I hate religious like things, religion has harmed the world
    not religion

some of the 'off grid' stuff

Poly

D/S

that sort of thing

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 9, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.