Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. I've received conditional offers from both Bath and Edinburgh for chemical engineering, but I am finding it difficult to choose between one of them. I haven't personally been to any of these two places, but I've heard great things (and not so great things :X) about both.

Bath / A*AA, [5 Years MEng + year in placement]:
    Unistats rating: 100%
    From what I've read, lecturers/professors are all very friendly and the course itself is amazing. The city is beautiful and relatively quiet (as compared to London), and there are plenty of clubs and societies. Bath is also very well known for being sports-heavy. My only concern for Bath, really, is whether or not it stacks up to Edinburgh in terms of prestige. How important is prestige in terms of employment rates? Bath has very strong links to industry, but being an international student, I'm not exactly sure that it will be as easy for me to get a job in the UK.

Edinburgh [5 Years MEng] / AAA:
    Unistats rating: 69%
    Edinburgh is well known for a lively city-atmosphere and beautiful, mountainous sceneries (though i haven't seen it for myself). There is a huge number of clubs, societies and sports activities in the university. The university itself is incredibly prestigious and is very well known worldwide.

However from what I've read and heard, the course isn't that great because the lecturers are "cold and unapproachable" and lack passion for their subject. This is obviously a huge concern because I'm going to be possibly spending the next 5 years of my life under these lecturers. I think the teaching is the main reason for its low ratings on unistats. I also read somewhere else that the University is 'cold and depressing': How true is this?
    It' be great if current students of either of these universities could shed some light on the negatives, or give an account of your overall experiences so far (teaching, lifestyle, facilities, social). Hopefully this will help not only myself, but also others in my position to make a decision

ReputationRep:
    I say go where your heart takes you

ReputationRep:
    Bath is a lovely place, probably better for chem eng than Edinburgh but bath is more like a town than a city so if you want to go somewhere which has a more lively nightlife then choose Edinburgh

May i ask when you you applied and when you got your offers as im also applying for chem eng at bath and edinburgh but only have an offer from edinburgh so far

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnypiercy)
    Bath is a lovely place, probably better for chem eng than Edinburgh but bath is more like a town than a city so if you want to go somewhere which has a more lively nightlife then choose Edinburgh

May i ask when you you applied and when you got your offers as im also applying for chem eng at bath and edinburgh but only have an offer from edinburgh so far
    I applied in early October. Got an offer from Edinburgh within a week and got my offer from Bath last week. What did you get for your AS's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mingomango)
    Hi everyone. I've received conditional offers from both Bath and Edinburgh for chemical engineering, but I am finding it difficult to choose between one of them. I haven't personally been to any of these two places, but I've heard great things (and not so great things :X) about both.

From what I've read, lecturers/professors are all very friendly and the course itself is amazing. The city is beautiful and relatively quiet (as compared to London), and there are plenty of clubs and societies. Bath is also very well known for being sports-heavy. My only concern for Bath, really, is whether or not it stacks up to Edinburgh in terms of prestige. How important is prestige in terms of employment rates? Bath has very strong links to industry, but being an international student, I'm not exactly sure that it will be as easy for me to get a job in the UK.

Edinburgh is well known for a lively city-atmosphere and beautiful, mountainous sceneries (though i haven't seen it for myself). There is a huge number of clubs, societies and sports activities in the university. The university itself is incredibly prestigious and is very well known worldwide.

However from what I've read and heard, the course isn't that great because the lecturers are "cold and unapproachable" and lack passion for their subject. This is obviously a huge concern because I'm going to be possibly spending the next 5 years of my life under these lecturers. I think the teaching is the main reason for its low ratings on unistats. I also read somewhere else that the University is 'cold and depressing': How true is this?
    It' be great if current students of either of these universities could shed some light on the negatives, or give an account of your overall experiences so far (teaching, lifestyle, facilities, social). Hopefully this will help not only myself, but also others in my position to make a decision
    Hey, I'm a first year at bath. Tbh I wouldn't worry about getting employed (within the UK) regardless of the two you go to. Personally I think bath is awesome and everything you said about the lecturers I've found to be true. The only bad side is probably the night life (quite small clubs) but ChemEng is a busy degree anyway!
    Feel free to ask me anyway questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I applied in early October. Got an offer from Edinburgh within a week and got my offer from Bath last week. What did you get for your AS's?
    4A's chem, maths, phy and geo (dunno why i took geo)
    wbu?? im guessing youve got quite high predicted grades seeing as theyve given you an offer so quickly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnypiercy)
    4A's chem, maths, phy and geo (dunno why i took geo)
    wbu?? im guessing youve got quite high predicted grades seeing as theyve given you an offer so quickly
    Geo ain't that bad haha. I was predicted A*A*A*A and got 4A's for my AS level (chem physics maths and bio). They still have plenty of time to respond, and have around 140 students each year, so I wouldn't worry too much if i were you. As long as your personal statement was somewhat decent (mine was terrible, i felt), you pretty much have an offer already. Just sit back, enjoy some fallout 4 and your offers will be in in no time

ReputationRep:

I would take Bath since it gives you the year in industry option. That would defo be helpful once you leave uni, and if the company you're working with really like you then they might even offer you a contract to start working for them once you graduate. Also, I think that you can go straight to second year at Edinburgh if you get A*AA

ReputationRep:
    Oh and Bath is a 4 year MEng, + 1 year in industry on top of that, adding up to 5 years, not 6

ReputationRep:

Congrats on your offers
    I had the same problem when I was picking my five unis, I'm also an international student . Maybe you should try and put more factors into consideration to know which one is better for you.
    I only sent my UCAS form on Monday , how long did it take for Bath to give you an offer/reply ? ( I'm applying for chem eng aswell)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.