The Student Room Group

What ions are in ammonia?

I've been given loads of homework questions where I have to write the ionic equations for reactions.
One of the reactions is the reaction of ammonia solution with aqueous phosphoric acid.
I've researched and found out that the equation is:
H3PO4 + 3NH3 ➝(NH4)3PO4
But I don't understand how to write the ionic equation as I don't know what ions are in ammonia? Please help!!!

Also there is another question with ammonia:

When ammonia gas comes into contact with HCl gas, a white solid is formed
I've researched and found the equation to be:
HCl (g) + NH3(g)➝NH4Cl (s)
Again, how would I write the ionic equation for this??

Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
NH4 is an ion with a single positive charge, and phosphate is an ion with a 3- negative charge. These are 'polyatomic ions' so you leave them as NH4 or PO4 and don't split them up further. Polyatomic ions are where the ion is made up of more than one type of atom.
For the second equation the Cl has a single negative charge. Hope this helps and sorry if anything is wrong! :colondollar:
Reply 2
Original post by orangeee22
NH4 is an ion with a single positive charge, and phosphate is an ion with a 3- negative charge. These are 'polyatomic ions' so you leave them as NH4 or PO4 and don't split them up further. Polyatomic ions are where the ion is made up of more than one type of atom.
For the second equation the Cl has a single negative charge. Hope this helps and sorry if anything is wrong! :colondollar:

Thank you :smile:

How would I write the reactant NH3 as its ions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending