The Student Room Group

a level options - classics, lit, lang and hist

Hi, I'm currently in Year 11 and have sent off my application for my sixth form. I've put down:

AQA English Language.
AQA History.
OCR Classical Civilisation.
OCR English Literature.

If anyone is doing these subjects whether at AS or A2, how are you finding it? How are you managing your time? If you do this combination, which is the hardest/most time consuming. Just tell me as much info as you about these so I know what to expect {i know ive not even done my gcse exams but tbh im so sick of science/maths and need something to look forward to).

Also what texts do you study?

I'm thinking of dropping English Language after AS, but how will that work with the new A Level system?
I'm also a current Y11 student, so I can't tell you about what the courses are like, but I do know that even with the new system, you can still take AS exams (they're technically a stand-alone, but the course is designed to run in parallel to the new linear course, so you should be able to take the exam if your school allows it). So you could still drop a subject after the first year and come away with a qualification.
Even if your school doesn't allow you to sit the AS exam, try and see if there is somewhere near you that you could take it. :smile:
Original post by Crammyandcrabby
Hi, I'm currently in Year 11 and have sent off my application for my sixth form. I've put down:

AQA English Language.
AQA History.
OCR Classical Civilisation.
OCR English Literature.

If anyone is doing these subjects whether at AS or A2, how are you finding it? How are you managing your time? If you do this combination, which is the hardest/most time consuming. Just tell me as much info as you about these so I know what to expect {i know ive not even done my gcse exams but tbh im so sick of science/maths and need something to look forward to).

Also what texts do you study?

I'm thinking of dropping English Language after AS, but how will that work with the new A Level system?

I also did 4 essay subject .You are going to want to shoot yourself in the head ,the sheer amount of work ,reading and overall learning and taking in is very hard .especially with English and history ,i would suggest trying to switch the language with a more practical subject idk economics ,politics ,sociology ,business studies maybe??
If you change Language for maths than you would be like quite alot of people who goes to my college.

On a serious note maybe you should change language for something else unless you actually want to do it as pretty much all of your other things are essay based.
I took English Literature and Language as one course, it's really good and a solid subject for your future. The language side is something I find easier but that's up to you, history is a really difficult A-level but well worth it!

Quick Reply

Latest