Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I posted this before, but it seems to have been mistakenly deleted. I'll try to keep this as short as possible.

In September 2013, I enrolled on a 3 year University course.

In October 2013, I left University due to my deteriorating mental health, and spent one month in a Mental Health Hospital.

In November 2013, my University advised me to take a break in study. I did take a break, although I did not formally sign a 'take a break in study' form because had I done this, I would have had to pay student finance the £3000 I received in September. However, I paid my accommodation provider most of this, so I could not afford to pay it back to SFE.

To avoid having to repay SFE, I remained enrolled on my course while not engaging with my studies, meaning that I failed my first year modules due to non-submissions.

I then returned to University in September 2014, and had to pay £9000 tuition fees a second time to repeat my first year.

I remained at University until January 2015 when my dad died.

From January to July 2015, I did not engage with my course due to my deteriorating mental health made worse by my dad's death. I missed three exams in May as they were on the same day as his funeral, which I attended.

I submitted an extenuating circumstances form to my University, who have accepted it. They said I could return to my course in September 2016 after a one year break in study.

They also said I won't have to pay tuition fees, as the fees I paid last year will fund it. I will be going back to my first year as deferral with attendance, meaning I can complete my non-submissions and gain credit, allowing me to progress onto my second year in September 2017. However, they said that I can only return provided I attend a needs assessment for disabled student allowances DSA.

Throughout this time, I was seeing a mental health support worker, a CBT therapist and was taking anti-depressants. I have a severe stammer, anxiety and depression.

I am claiming ESA and disability living allowance PIP.

My question to SFE is this:

How do I go about submitting a CPR, and given my circumstances, what is the possibility of it being accepted? To my understanding, I have 2 years of funding left - for my third year, second year BUT no funding for my first year from SFE. As my University will be paying my first year tuition fees themselves, would I be able to apply for a maintenance loan/grant, or does this depend on whether SFE accept my CPR?

There is a lot more to my circumstances (sleeping homeless for one month due to my poor mental health in July 2015, during which time I was reported to the police as a missing person - suicidal attempts etc).

My mental health has improved considerably since then. I have mountains of evidence to support my claims.

Advice welcomed.

Kind Regards
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi

To repeat 1st year again you are currently eligible to apply for a means tested maintenance loan only.

To appeal for compelling personal reasons, you can use either the 13/14 year or 14/15 year.
    You must write a cover letter to explain your circumstances for which ever year you wish to appeal and send in evidence to prove what you are stating in the cover letter. This will then be assessed and you may then get full funding towards year 1 again.

We do advise to send the CPR letter and evidence once you have applied, the 2016/2017 applications will not be open until early next year.
    Please also ensure the university have sent us confirmation that you have currently suspended your studies.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser)
    Hi

To repeat 1st year again you are currently eligible to apply for a means tested maintenance loan only.

To appeal for compelling personal reasons, you can use either the 13/14 year or 14/15 year.
    You must write a cover letter to explain your circumstances for which ever year you wish to appeal and send in evidence to prove what you are stating in the cover letter. This will then be assessed and you may then get full funding towards year 1 again.

We do advise to send the CPR letter and evidence once you have applied, the 2016/2017 applications will not be open until early next year.
    Please also ensure the university have sent us confirmation that you have currently suspended your studies.

Thanks
    Hello. Thanks for this reply.

If for some reason my CPR is not accepted, I will still receive the maintenance loan, but this is OK as my University are paying tuition fees for my first year themselves.

Some further questions:

Is it possible to apply for CPR for both years?

I have currently used 2 years of funding, so I should have 2 years left (1 year + 1 gift year) - is this correct?

So if my CPR are not accepted, I should receive funding for years 3 and 2 of a 3 year course, but will only receive the maintenance loan for 1 year - is this correct?

If my CPR are accepted, will this refund a year of study, OR give me an extra year of funding? e.g. If CPR are accepted, I'll receive 5 years of funding, rather than 4 years + 1 refunded year?

Many Thanks for your help.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi,

Yes you can apply for CPR for more than one year as long as the evidence is provided for the both years.

Yes your previous study calculation would be 3+1=4-2=2 years remaining and in 2nd and 3rd year support and maintenance loan only in year 1.

You would receive an extra year of funding for the resit and not refunded.

Thanks.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.