Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should I try to explain my resit year to Universities or should I leave it? watch

ReputationRep:
    Now I genuinely had pretty ridiculous personal issues in my first AS year had below 50% attendance and got straight U's. Im now expected A*AB. I would like to think that i don't deserve to be discriminated against because as far as i can see most people who resit their year genuinely were just normal students. If anything I think the ridiculous improvement i made could be turned into a positive.

At the same time, I don't want to come across as petty or like I'm seeking sympathy by arguing over it on my personal statement/uni interviews or whatever

whats the best way to go about this? Should I just not mention anything and hope for the best or really argue my case so i don't get a more difficult offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mvpmb)
    Now I genuinely had pretty ridiculous personal issues in my first AS year had below 50% attendance and got straight U's. Im now expected A*AB. I would like to think that i don't deserve to be discriminated against because as far as i can see most people who resit their year genuinely were just normal students. If anything I think the ridiculous improvement i made could be turned into a positive.

At the same time, I don't want to come across as petty or like I'm seeking sympathy by arguing over it on my personal statement/uni interviews or whatever

whats the best way to go about this? Should I just not mention anything and hope for the best or really argue my case so i don't get a more difficult offer
    Many universities don't mind resit candidates, but phone them up and explain your situation and ask whether it would be appropriate to mention it anywhere in your application. If they want some sort of reference made about your circumstances, unless they say otherwise, then get it put on your teacher's reference - don't waste valuable characters on your personal statement.Good luck!
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    No, it is the role of your tutor to explain your downfall.

also, email universities to see whether you'll be at a disadvantage (it rarely happens unless you're applying for a vocational degree) since some unis will set your higher offers if they were to accept you.

ReputationRep:
    My sixth form tutor explained that it's the best course of action to be totally honest and upfront, but in my case it was very relevant for me to explain why I retook the year as I am now a trustee for a charity of the person I lost during my exams in 2014. This might not be the case for you. You can always ask your referee to explain the situation rather than crow-barring it into your personal statement. From a personal standpoint though universities like to see character development; being given the opportunity to show that you are now a more mature and informed person because of a past mistake or a negative life experience isn't something all applicants get to do. That probably sounds callous but showing strength through weakness is, personally I feel, a great added element to an application. I don't think you should be worried about trying to win sympathy votes - admission officers would probably be impressed if you can somehow find positives in the wholly negative (like getting A*AB from U's, well done you!!)

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.