Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why shop at expensive supermarkets? watch

ReputationRep:
    Why waste your money shopping at expensive supermarkets?

The food from Waitrose, Marks and Spencer is equally as good as food from Aldi, and Lidl.

And if you're not buying their own branded items, why not go to poundland where you can get it for £1 - rather than pay £2-3 for the same item in Waitrose/M and S? Like Cereal, chocolate and drinks etc

ReputationRep:
    Because people are stupid and vain.

/thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danielen)
    Why waste your money shopping at expensive supermarkets?

The food from Waitrose, Marks and Spencer is equally as good as food from Aldi, and Lidl.

And if you're not buying their own branded items, why not go to poundland where you can get it for £1 - rather than pay £2-3 for the same item in Waitrose/M and S? Like Cereal, chocolate and drinks etc
    I think Lidl is fantastic - there's nothing wrong with the food (in some cases it's nicer than what more expensive supermarkets sell) and it's so cheap. No wonder it's becoming more popular and that places like Lidl and Aldi can afford to pay their workers more than the minimum wage.

It's a shame people's snobbery prevents them from seeing sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danielen)
    No, it isn't. M&S and Waitrose are generally better options for pre-made food. Branded items are obviously another matter.

ReputationRep:
    The weird shame you feel when someone sees you in pound land. I used to get that, until I realised how poor I will be as a student!
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    tbh I buy from whatever is around me. I looooove poundland when it comes to buying things for the house e.g. sponges, washing liquid etc. and just normal stuff like sanitary pads which cost like £4 in waitrose for the same thing

ReputationRep:
    I personally feel that meat and vegetables at Waitrose are of higher quality (in terms of freshness, amount of fat, taste) than Lidl.

ReputationRep:
    I do go to places like Lidl when there are great prices for, specifically, branded items - I can get a can of Coke for 29p, which is brilliant. However, a few months ago I bought some pies from Lidl, and they were so utterly awful (and genuinely inedible), I made a vow never to ever have meat from there again. There is a fine line between saving money and jeopardising the pleasure of your meal for a couple of pence. If this is known, I think using both the more expensive and less expensive supermarkets can results in not only great savings, but also great meals.

ReputationRep:
    Why condone people for shopping there? It's their decision.

And there isn't any denying that some products do certainly taste better from supermarkets like M&S lol. Additionally, back with the horse meat scandal a few years ago, Waitrose wasn't involved in it because it actually sought higher quality products and look it paid off for them.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.