Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How do we punish people who miss GP appointments? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How do we punish people who miss GP appointments (without a reasonable excuse)?

Some say fines are unfair.

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Banned from GP :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Smack their bottom

ReputationRep:
    I think we should immediately force them on to the organ donor list and fast forward their donation to the day of committing the crime

ReputationRep:
    My GP practise policy is that if you miss 2 appointments you're banned

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epic within)
    I see why, but I think that's harsh why do people miss appointments? Sometimes they can't be bothered - but often they are scared, anxious, forgetful, and if anything most in need of seeing the GP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    How do we punish people who miss GP appointments (without a reasonable excuse)?

Some say fines are unfair.

What do you think?
    We don't. It would be nigh on impossible to do without penalising people who have a reason for missing their appointment. For example, an elderly lady in the early stages of dementia forgetting her appointment. Punishing her would be unfair.

It would detract from the actual function of GP appointments. A doctor is there to help people. If they start getting involved in punishments for people, it may put some people off going to their doctor because their interest will not be exclusively helping people.

It also raises questions about patient confidentiality. A doctor may know the reason for a missed appointment, but may be unwilling to put it on a form because the patient requested that he/ she doesn't tell anyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Jab them with a cocktail of ebola and black plague in a jab. They'll learn *shakes fist*

ReputationRep:
    What about someone who has a genuine reason for missing appointments such as dementia? They shouldn't be banned from going to the gp because of a symptoms of their illness.

There could be negative consequences for people with complex health needs. They need to see the doctor more often and if you have more appointments you are more likely to forget to go to one. Withdrawing care could have very negative effects for that individual.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katty3)
    What about someone who has a genuine reason for missing appointments such as dementia? They shouldn't be banned from going to the gp because of a symptoms of their illness.

There could be negative consequences for people with complex health needs. They need to see the doctor more often and if you have more appointments you are more likely to forget to go to one. Withdrawing care could have very negative effects for that individual.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you call them in advance and inform them you wouldn't get banned, but if you don't say anything you will get banned and you will have to use another practise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ezme39)
    I see why, but I think that's harsh why do people miss appointments? Sometimes they can't be bothered - but often they are scared, anxious, forgetful, and if anything most in need of seeing the GP
    You would only get banned if you don't inform them in advance

ReputationRep:
    LOL this is actually a thing here? wow
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Mine do this too.

Maybe we need to look at why people miss appointments. I once supposedly an appointment. The appointment was actually a phone call I did indeed have with a GP. Oh, and then there was the one with the midwife. The one that couldn't have been mine because I can't have children. I only knew about the latter because I received a text the previous day and then a phone call that morning. Needless to say, I was rather upset. It turns out it was someone else with the same initials.

ReputationRep:
    Instead of punishing people why don't we try and find out why people are missing appointments? Why don't we look into ways of getting people to appointments if they're struggling to get in, or not remembering? Why does the answer to everything have to be punishing people?

ReputationRep:
    As GP's are often private i say that we should let them decide like any other firm.

ReputationRep:
    Gather all those that miss their GP appointments and make them fight in gladiatorial combat to the death, the winners get to make another appointment, and a free mug.

ReputationRep:
    If you call them in advance and inform them you wouldn't get banned, but if you don't say anything you will get banned and you will have to use another practise.
    What about someone with dementia? They may frequently forget appointments. They can't call in advance because they don't know that they've forgotten something.

It seems very unfair to ban someone from using a service because of a health condition that means that they forget about appointments.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Katty3)
    What about someone with dementia? They may frequently forget appointments. They can't call in advance because they don't know that they've forgotten something.

It seems very unfair to ban someone from using a service because of a health condition that means that they forget about appointments.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If your dementia is that bad, then surely you'd have someone helping you with things like appointments?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    Instead of punishing people why don't we try and find out why people are missing appointments? Why don't we look into ways of getting people to appointments if they're struggling to get in, or not remembering? Why does the answer to everything have to be punishing people?
    Without punishing, people still going to miss appointments it costs £162m and missed hospital appointments cost £750m. If you put a fine for every missed appointment people may start to think twice before intentionally missing them.
    We shouldn't be punishing people who have valid reasons to miss appointments, but those who don't should face fines. Theres no excuse, everybody has a phone and they can a set a reminder.

ReputationRep:
    My GP surgery sends me texts a few days before my appointment and the evening before as well. It really helps me remember. I know it's just a simple thing that might not work for everyone but still I find it useful as I have lots of different appointments with different professionals and I get a bit mixed up sometimes.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.