Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

My sister is 23. She will be 24 when she starts her course, but will be 23 at the time of applying.

As she will be a mature student in years 2 and 3 of her course, will she receive full support from student finance - will SFE pay all of her tuition fees, and maintenance loans for the entire duration of her course.

She is living with her parents, and claiming ESA / PIP due to her disability. She will also be applying for DSA.

In other words, will her funding be reduced when she becomes 25, and will she have to leave her course because of this?

Kind Regards.

ReputationRep:
    I should add that my sister does NOT work, and will not be in work at the time of applying.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi

While she is under 25, the funding will be based on parents household income. Once she is over 25, she will automatically be deemed as independent and it will be assessed on her own circumstances.

She can still apply for funding for the full duration of the course.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser)
    Hi

While she is under 25, the funding will be based on parents household income. Once she is over 25, she will automatically be deemed as independent and it will be assessed on her own circumstances.

She can still apply for funding for the full duration of the course.

Thanks
    Thanks for this reply.

So, when my sister reaches age 25, only her income is assessed?

If she doesn't have any job - no income at all - and is living with parents at age 25, will she have her tuition fees paid by SFE and be given maximum funding?

Her annual income will be £0 - and if there is an income, it will likely be benefits.

So, she should still receive full funding right?

Thanks.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi,

yes when your Sister is 25 she will be assessed on her income so if this is zero it will be assessed on a zero income.

She will still be able to get tuition fees paid as these are not based on the income.

Thanks.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.