Turn on thread page Beta

What is your opinion on Ukip winning a large number of seats? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Well!!!!!!!!!Wowwwwwwwwwww that is the best response i've ever had in a thread...an absolute record breaker...

ReputationRep:
    Worrying. I think that it is mostly a protest vote but some people are obviously europhobic I just don't understand why

ReputationRep:
    maybe some gangstaz would rather chill wid our hommiez in da us and auz than those homos on the constinant?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iiikewldude)
    maybe some gangstaz would rather chill wid our hommiez in da us and auz than those homos on the constinant?
    Pardon!That was a mouthfull and a half!Lolllll

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iiikewldude)
    now in english please....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    Worrying. I think that it is mostly a protest vote but some people are obviously europhobic I just don't understand why
    We live in a democracy... if people agree with their views and vote for them what can you do :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pixelfairy #1)
    We live in a democracy... if people agree with their views and vote for them what can you do :rolleyes:
    What i was trying to point out was conflicting opinions in the europian union and how that may have a negative impact on the Uk...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    What i was trying to point out was conflicting opinions in the europian union and how that may have a negative impact on the Uk...
    Yeah... the conspiracy theory is that all the UKIP-like parties around europe are going to try and get seats in the european parliament, then join up to form a super independance party with an overall majority... and then trash the EU from the inside :rolleyes:

i think that it may be a protest vote

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    i) why is it worrying? the trend is maintained across the whole of Europe, obviously they smell a rat
    ii) protest against what? further integration towards an EU superstate?
    iii) wanting to retain power in westminster cannot be labelled as Europhobic. it is perfectly acceptable to embrace being European but want to see the UK as a sovereign nation state.

ReputationRep:
    Do alarm bells not ring when you you hear the words "control from Brussels"? What is worrying is that such big political and economic shifts are just being waved through without proper analysis.

ReputationRep:
    i'm quite pleased that UKIP made such great gains. Although part of me suggests this is just down to a celebrity being a frontman for them, i would like to genuinely believe that UKIP represents a form of party principle that has nearly vanished from society: A party with clear aims. As i've made clear before, i think voting is a shams - democracy is brilliant if people can genuinely get their views across. However, these days, if you vote for on eof the major parties you're voting for little significant, becasue they're all so similar. I admire UKIP for having a clear aim - and i think it's done politics good to demonstrate that with a clear agenda laid down people will vote.

ReputationRep:
    no comment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    no comment
    why not just... not comment then

ReputationRep:
    becuase when im delerious and its this early in the morning, it seems very hilarious to me... give me some leeway, im insane... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I think that UKIP are bad for britain, but i also think that they are being taken too seriously. they have 12/78 MEPs, not a majority or anything. they have, IME, a narrow support base, and a lot of this was people disaffected with the main parites for various other reasons. For example Howard proved not to be though enough on the EU for the right of the tory party, who decided to give him a kicking at these elections - not very important ones to the average person. on the other saide people fed up with blair did the same thing. they also tapped into the often negled voter - the middle aged, right wing house-wife. this 'kilroy effect' has been noted whe other 'personalities' have entered poltics - a similar thing one happened for blair. these people are, in the main, non voters and have a low political knowledge - professional women, for example who are better informed would make better choices. in other words the support was for the candidate, not the party.
    the weak sate of the tories generally did not help - they normaly do well in europeans but not this time. i thinck that next time the tories will put up credibal oppositionand win bakc those seats.
    Also talk of this turning into a mass movement is laughable. they are a minority party on a turnout of 38%, not a real force. By taking council seats they are showing themselves up - they are not a local force, they will just show the voters that they can't come up with a real manifesto. single issue parties do not surivie n the UK - refferendum party - remember that one?
    When MEPs get forgotton next week, UKIP will as well.
    They will never form a government, so how can they take us out of the EU. Even winning an MP today would be very doubtful.
    Inside the EU there will be about 16 Eurosceptics, out off around 700 - no impact at all there.
    I may be wrong, and many will diagree but in the fulness of time I feel i will be proved correct.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.