Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is not a maths question, as such, more of a revision question..

I have been told constantly by high maths achievers that understanding maths concepts rather than memorising is essential.

Now, this may seem like a stupid question lol, but, how do you know when you intentionally understand how a concept works in maths and you are not just memorising it?

ReputationRep:
    Try high level questions. If you can do them you understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FamilyFirst)

I have been told constantly by high maths achievers that understanding maths concepts rather than memorising is essential.

Now, this may seem like a stupid question lol, but, how do you know when you intentionally understand how a concept works in maths and you are not just memorising it?
    i wish pain on you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubisoft)
    Try high level questions. If you can do them you understand.
    Hmm, good idea. Do you know where harder questions can be found especially for C2, FP1 & S1

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, good idea. Do you know where harder questions can be found especially for C2, FP1 & S1
    STEP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubisoft)
    STEP.
    STEP is too high/challenging. OP, try Solomon papers.

ReputationRep:
    Kind of difficult to truly understand what's going on at A level. Except things like trig identities etc that are just on their own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    STEP is too high/challenging. OP, try Solomon papers.
    Yeah! I was just looking at STEP papers and they look a bit greek. Where can I find Solomon papers? I have heard about them, are they difficult do you use them?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

You know you understand a concept when you can do any question that relates to it! In order to achieve that, practice is essential.

Have a go at some Solomon papers to begin with. Once you're confident of being able to conquer all, then you might want to take a look at STEP too.

I should also add that being able to do the most difficult questions will enable you to do the straightforward stuff without making any mistakes

ReputationRep:
    Yeah! I was just looking at STEP papers and they look a bit greek. Where can I find Solomon papers? I have heard about them, are they difficult do you use them?
    I personally don't, but they pose more of a challenge than normal A-Level papers, go and look at physicsmathstutor.com

Edit: You might be better of looking at MAT instead of STEP.

ReputationRep:
    I will do, thanks everyone for the helpful advice!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 8, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.