Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I opened a Halifax Student Account in 2014. I have paid back the £1,000 overdraft. As of now, my account balance is NILL.

I am taking a break in study due to being in hospital. I will return to the FIRST year of my course in September 2016.

Last week, I opened a Lloyds classic account - in which I deposited £5,000 savings.

My question:

If I close my Halifax student bank account, will I be able to open a new student bank account (with the bank who has the best student accounts) in September 2016? Will this bank account last the duration of my course?

In the meantime, I am using my Lloyds account, but will have over £10,000 in savings when I open a student account in September 2016.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I am sure you will be able to open new student accounts. Is there any literature in law that prevents you having more than one student account?

That said, the only reason for getting student accounts is generally to access the free overdraft facilities. If you have savings it would surely be more advantageous to get a high interest current account or two and switch your savings on a monthly basis to access the bonuses and high interest rates. There is loads of info about this on MoneySavingExpert.com

Good luck!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    I am sure you will be able to open new student accounts. Is there any literature in law that prevents you having more than one student account?
    The T&Cs of student accounts generally do state that you pay your student loan in your student account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    The T&Cs of student accounts generally do state that you pay your student loan in your student account.
    That's fair enough. It doesn't mean you have to keep it there though - if you are savy that is!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danielen)
    Hello,

I opened a Halifax Student Account in 2014. I have paid back the £1,000 overdraft. As of now, my account balance is NILL.

I am taking a break in study due to being in hospital. I will return to the FIRST year of my course in September 2016.

Last week, I opened a Lloyds classic account - in which I deposited £5,000 savings.

My question:

If I close my Halifax student bank account, will I be able to open a new student bank account (with the bank who has the best student accounts) in September 2016? Will this bank account last the duration of my course?

In the meantime, I am using my Lloyds account, but will have over £10,000 in savings when I open a student account in September 2016.

Thanks.
    Why do you want a student account with those kind of savings? Why don't you just open a bank of scotland account and stick £5k in there and then just cycle your money between your lloyds and BoS account to earth 3% interest on the bank of scotland one and 4% on the lloyds one? I don't see the point of getting a student account unless you want one of those free perks.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.