Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi can anyone help, I want to do a law degree but also like the idea of criminology with it- I'm not sure whether the do the full LLB and just choose criminology as an optional in my seccond/third year within the course, or do the course that is LLB with Criminology. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Straight LLB Law degree.

Don't choose LLB with Criminology or LLB with politics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pride&Prejudice)
    Straight LLB Law degree.

Don't choose LLB with Criminology or LLB with politics.
    Any reason why? Much appreciated
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I know a lot of people doing crim modules and they said that it wasn't like what they thought it would be. If you like sociology or even psychology, you'll like it. Otherwise chances are you won't because its massively different from legal studies.

Also if you hope to go into a legal career, the fewer amount of law modules won't do you any good.

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay thanks. I've not done sociology at Alevel but have psychology and enjoyed it, not really sure what proffesion to aim for but I'm hoping a law degree opens up options. Just don't want to commit to criminology if it means I can only go for a career in that area
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by E.pickering)
    Ah okay thanks. I've not done sociology at Alevel but have psychology and enjoyed it, not really sure what proffesion to aim for but I'm hoping a law degree opens up options. Just don't want to commit to criminology if it means I can only go for a career in that area
    Nope it doesn't retrict you at all, and you can still go into a legal career with it providing you have the grades to make up for any supposedly weaker module choices. It would definitely be of help if you want to work in the prison system/rehabiliation system or wider civil service.

It might actually help you if you enjoy psych and do well in it, because crim module can be a source of easy marks if you really know what you're doing. I've a lot of people without the experience of or mind for sociology/psychology struggle with it though, so make sure you are comfortable with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Use Err Name)
    Nope it doesn't retrict you at all, and you can still go into a legal career with it providing you have the grades to make up for any supposedly weaker module choices. It would definitely be of help if you want to work in the prison system/rehabiliation system or wider civil service.

It might actually help you if you enjoy psych and do well in it, because crim module can be a source of easy marks if you really know what you're doing. I've a lot of people without the experience of or mind for sociology/psychology struggle with it though, so make sure you are comfortable with it.
    Okay great, thanks so much! Think I might just stick to full law and choose criminology as an optional

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by E.pickering)
    Any reason why? Much appreciated
    Then you can focus on Law properly, rather than dividing your study time between two subject areas.

And criminology is not criminal law- it's theoretical based. Sort of like sociology.

Glad you made a choice.😊

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.