Turn on thread page Beta

^^To both males and females

ReputationRep:
    I can understand it, sort of, but I would not feel comfortable practicing it. Even if I'm at a stage in my life where the idea of a monogamous relationship isn't appealing and I'd prefer a more open, no-strings attached arrangement, I would only want a monogamous relationship in the future.
    That being said, I have no problem with people in polygamous relationships

ReputationRep:
    As long as everyone involved consents to a polyamorous relationship then there's no problem. I personally am monogamous though
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    Not my cuppa, he has to be all mine :innocent:

Though if someone were to choose to be in one, they better ensure that all parties are aware and give their consent.

ReputationRep:
    Nah. Not for me.

ReputationRep:
    It's weird

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a four-way relationship right now.

Me, my girlfriend, food, and sleep...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    if it doesn't affect me physically or emotionally then who curs, though my opinion on it is that it is unusual, like not common but that's as far as i'll go on the topic because it's their business

ReputationRep:
    Nah,I can't be for it. Just not something I could come to terms with. Don't ever want to have to share my man with another woman no matter how selfish it sounds.

ReputationRep:
    Perfectly natural for a dominant male yet hardly ideal when you consider that the highest peaks/deepest depths of love and bonding cannot be divided or duplicated

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a fantastic idea, it's the perfect scenario (under the right circumstances).

ReputationRep:
    I would never do it, but other people can do whatever feels right for them

(Original post by Cold 187um)
    I think it's a fantastic idea, it's the perfect scenario (under the right circumstances).
    What do you think are the right circumstances for it?

(Original post by queen-bee)
    Nah,I can't be for it. Just not something I could come to terms with. Don't ever want to have to share my man with another woman no matter how selfish it sounds.
    Sounds very selfish to me. Greedy girl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What do you think are the right circumstances for it?
    A few requirements must be met for this arrangement to function.

- The man needs to have the funds and resources to finance this enterprise.
    - He needs to have enough time to take proper care of each of his wives.
    - He needs to have a strong code of ethics to be able to treat his wives with respect and to satisfy their financial, emotional and social needs. Not every man is fit for this arrangement.
    - Must find women who are completely open to the idea and who will agree, which is almost impossible in this particular society and at this modern time. Polygamy is practised in other parts of the world where women aren't subject to particular social influences which make them reject the idea. Some women from particular cultures and societies will accept this and will be open to it (not forced into it). It largely depends on the prevailing societal norms within a particular region.

It's clearly not for everyone. But under the right circumstances, which I have outlined above, it can function very well within certain communities and societies.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't fly with me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cold 187um)
    What do you find so appealing about it? And are you a man or woman?

ReputationRep:
    I think that so long as all people involved are happy and consenting to the arrangement, there's no problem with it.

ReputationRep:
    Hell no. I'm far too jealous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tammie123)
    What do you find so appealing about it? And are you a man or woman?
    It's really great because you don't have to restrict yourself to just one wife. You can enjoy the company and sexual pleasure of a number of women simultaneously while acting within a morally acceptable way. Under a legally binding marriage contract, and within a situation where you can find a number of women who accept the idea of being married to the same man, everyone is satisfied and the man is able to benefit greatly from this arrangement without breaking any moral boundaries. It's the perfect situation, it diminishes the temptation of infidelity while allowing the man to operate strictly within accepted moral boundaries. You're able to gain multiple benefits from more than just one woman, which provides greater satisfaction in theory. And I'll say it for the umpteenth time, all of this occurs within morally acceptable boundaries. No rules are being broken. Perfect situation. And I'm a man.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2015
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.