Turn on thread page Beta

Engineering Apprenticeships for graduates of other disciplines watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

I am a recent graduate with a degree in Chinese & Economics from SOAS. Despite this I would like to become a mechanical engineer and if circumstances had been different I almost certainly have taken this option when I left school. As it was, I had the opportunity to start learning Chinese from GCSE level and took it.

Starting another degree in engineering doesn't seem to be an option at this stage as I already have a degree and this limits the funding I can get. Therefore I'm researching the possibility of starting an apprenticeship and have already sent some applications.

Unfortunately some firms are reluctant to take on graduates. Are there any apprentices out there who know their company wouldn't mind employing a graduate at the entry level? Does anyone work for a company who might value a Chinese speaking engineer in the future and would be willing to train one?

Any help or suggestions at this stage would be much appreciated, thanks very much!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Olnberg)
    Hi All,

I am a recent graduate with a degree in Chinese & Economics from SOAS. Despite this I would like to become a mechanical engineer and if circumstances had been different I almost certainly have taken this option when I left school. As it was, I had the opportunity to start learning Chinese from GCSE level and took it.

Starting another degree in engineering doesn't seem to be an option at this stage as I already have a degree and this limits the funding I can get. Therefore I'm researching the possibility of starting an apprenticeship and have already sent some applications.

Unfortunately some firms are reluctant to take on graduates. Are there any apprentices out there who know their company wouldn't mind employing a graduate at the entry level? Does anyone work for a company who might value a Chinese speaking engineer in the future and would be willing to train one?

Any help or suggestions at this stage would be much appreciated, thanks very much!
    Could you work for a few years to save up the required funds?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 8, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.