The Student Room Group

8 Weeks into AS ... Thinking of dropping out?

I am currently 8 weeks into my AS levels and am thinking of dropping out. I am studying ICT, Business and Economics and I feel like all of the work is getting on top of me. I'm constantly tired. I don't want to go to school and the only reason i'm going is to see my friends.

I'm not stupid or anything, just don't enjoy school. I have this plan to drop-out of school and get a full-time job as a sales assistant, I have average GCSE's, 4B's and 4C's, so I don't think this would be a problem. I would still be living at home so I would be able to save a considerable amount of my money each month. In maybe a year or so I see myself opening a small business with the money that I have saved (I will be 17 by then). I feel that this would be a better option for my future, that this would be my goal in life, something that I would enjoy and look forward too.

I'm just looking for advice as to whether or not this is a realistic plan?

Thanks
Do a btec, I think ur finding it hard cos ur grades are bit on the low side compared to people who do a levels but please please please dont drop out. A Btec might be more suited to ur style of studying, and im sure u can gey atleast three D's.
Original post by Trevormacdonald
Do a btec, I think ur finding it hard cos ur grades are bit on the low side compared to people who do a levels but please please please dont drop out. A Btec might be more suited to ur style of studying, and im sure u can gey atleast three D's.

I think it's too late to get on to a btec for this year?
Reply 3
Original post by Jim585
I am currently 8 weeks into my AS levels and am thinking of dropping out. I am studying ICT, Business and Economics and I feel like all of the work is getting on top of me. I'm constantly tired. I don't want to go to school and the only reason i'm going is to see my friends.

I'm not stupid or anything, just don't enjoy school. I have this plan to drop-out of school and get a full-time job as a sales assistant, I have average GCSE's, 4B's and 4C's, so I don't think this would be a problem. I would still be living at home so I would be able to save a considerable amount of my money each month. In maybe a year or so I see myself opening a small business with the money that I have saved (I will be 17 by then). I feel that this would be a better option for my future, that this would be my goal in life, something that I would enjoy and look forward too.

Thanks

AS levels are the hardest thing you will ever do in your life, even the second year is not as hard. But have faith and hold strong, I only got 2 A's, 2 B's and 4 C's in my GCSEs so I am not a high achiever. I came out of AS with BCCEE. You can do it, just have a little belief in yourself.

As regards to become a sales assistant full time, DON'T. Jobs are far and few, and the work will more than likely kill your motivation, don't enjoy school? You will hate retail (I work in retail).

I would recommend speaking to your teachers or someone in school about ways to lighten your workload. Trust me, if you drop you A levels, you may regret it later in life.

Try Watching some of this guys videos:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnJ-KJLPlRw90rGs_6XfmmQ

In terms of your plan, you can achieve it, but dropping out is not the way to go about it.

AND NOW THE BAD NEWS: You can't drop out, by law you must stay in education until the age of 18 if you are born after september 1997, sorry buddy :/
Reply 4
Yeah, usually the cut off point to join a course is mid October. They may be willing to let you on if you're willing to catch up on all the work.

Edit: And no, the law requires you to be in part time education, an apprenticeship or traineeship. (https://www.gov.uk/know-when-you-can-leave-school)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by passivepineapple
I think it's too late to get on to a btec for this year?

It is, besides the OP would be more snowed under with coursework.
Reply 6
Original post by Jim585

Thanks

You won't be able to get a full time job at 17 (you'll have to do a part-time education or training) as mentioned here

I feel the same way as you do, but I'm still carrying on (despite having no motivation and a HUGE workload) and applying to uni as I know it would be more beneficial for the field I want to enter.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Don't give up!
There's still time to get back on track, make a schedule, print the specs and revise at least 2 - 3 hours a day (more on the weekend) with breaks. Make sure you revise more efficiently instead of bombarding everything at once, if you don't understand something go to a teacher after school. At first it will be tedious but when you're finally on top of everything and understand what's going on, it will be worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest