Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm starting up my first piece of cw soon and I'm not sure if this is a suitable topic? i.e. will this be enough to write 2000 words on it at a good A level standard?

I've done some research on topics that other people have done and I've decided to choose a different topic to the ones I have seen:

The physics of shuttlecocks (in badminton) -> plastics vs. feathered

I've decided to delve into these topics from the AS/A2 syllabus:

1. Properties of materials
    2. Momentum/force
    3. Suvat and relating it to a shuttlecock's irregular trajectory (projectile motion) (probably will be brief and it will link into the below)
    4. I've also decided to talk about the aerodynamics of the shuttlecock and how it flies (the mark scheme basically says it expects at least something outside of the A level syllabus for top marks).

So...
    • Is this enough to cover ~2000 words, do you think?
    • Is this complex enough? The mark scheme states "The chosen topic requires substantial knowledge of A-level physics to be understood"
    • Are there any other topics from the from the A level syllabus I can integrate into this research briefing?

Links:
    Topics from the A level course: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A-leve...ncing_Physics)

Mark scheme: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/81272-u...orm-cw254-.pdf

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Has a lot of potential IMO - be careful not to over-run 2000 words.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    Has a lot of potential IMO - be careful not to over-run 2000 words.
    Sweet, that's good to hear. I was having an internal struggle whether to risk it and do something different (and potentially not have enough to talk about or have enough depth) or to choose a topic that is common and works albeit boring (and/or complicated). :hmmmm2:

ReputationRep:
    Is How touch screens work ok? so with three different methods- Capacitive, Resistive and Sound Acoustic wave
    I don't know whether its too simple, I can't find much maths about it. I'm worried there isn't enough A level physics involved.

ReputationRep:
    and how are you guys structuring it? What do you need to write in your intro>

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 9, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.