The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AHP1
Although a side issue, I would argue that Man Utd were pretty were established when he took over, but I see your point. City and Chelsea both arguably came out of nowhere because of their massive spending power. And Utd have always been pretty comfortable.

Not sure how long he's had a big budget. Didn't we just relatively recently pay off our stadium debt? Agree that we failed to replace our tougher players. It was a shift to a possession style of football that caused this. I'm assuming you'll point out that this was a failure, but it wasn't too long ago that Barcelona dominated with this style. Factor in a loss of key players such as Fabregas and Nasri (reluctant to mention both), it's understandable why we've stalled and restarted.

And yes, maybe he could have competed with other teams in signing players, but we've been blown out of the water due to the financial power of others.

I just remember years and years ago a chairman or something saying Wenger had lots of money, or someone saying something or other. Wenger didn't spend anything, so presumably the next season there would be even more, and it would keep building.

Arsenal's style would've worked if they had the odd tough player, experience in defence and the end product. Barcelona did well in Europe, but they just as often came unstuck against British teams playing a British style, so he would always have problems with Pulis and Allardyce sides, especially if his players are young foreigners who think they're going to get space and little contact.

Given that every title winning side has a solid, experienced, consistent keeper, it was a crime he never bought one until now, just cycling through a load of baby goalkeepers. There are always plenty of these top keepers around, he could've signed Brad Friedel, Shay Given, David James or Fraser Forster off the top of my head.
Original post by SA-1
What guarantee is there that the new manager will spend? How do we even know that he won't have the exact same restrictions as Wenger has had?

A new manager would surely mean new coaching staff, new tactics and perhaps even a new scout. If he can't spend then he'd promote from within. But then again, if our board show the same ineptitude that Mike Ashley is associated with, our club is just gonna die.
Original post by SA-1
What guarantee is there that the new manager will spend? How do we even know that he won't have the exact same restrictions as Wenger has had?

Because it's pretty obvious wenger doesn't have restrictions, he's just too set in his ways. Ironically, Mourinho would be the best manager for the job, buy £200mil of players and win the league. Shame he's an odious bastard really.
Think Viera (might have been someone else) put it perfectly; Wengers biggest asset and his biggest flaw is that he has too much loyalty/ faith in players
We need a protest similar to Charlton's one today about Kroenke. He is killing our club on and off the pitch.
This is the most depressing loss this season imo. I was really looking forward for us to try to win the Cup 3 times in a row. I've now accepted that Tottenham will finish above us and don't really care anymore because this season has seen so many stats shattered.

Let's try and have some dignity leaving Camp Nou and then the inevitable BT Sport loss against Everton on Saturday. TIME FOR THE ANNUAL MELTDOWN.
Reply 5745
Original post by shawn_o1
A new manager would surely mean new coaching staff, new tactics and perhaps even a new scout. If he can't spend then he'd promote from within. But then again, if our board show the same ineptitude that Mike Ashley is associated with, our club is just gonna die.

It would, but what good is that when we can address the problems on the pitch? Getting a new manager, regardless of when it's done will surely mean that we'll take one step back initially (perhaps to take two forwards, idk)

Original post by leinad2012
Because it's pretty obvious wenger doesn't have restrictions, he's just too set in his ways. Ironically, Mourinho would be the best manager for the job, buy £200mil of players and win the league. Shame he's an odious bastard really.
Think Viera (might have been someone else) put it perfectly; Wengers biggest asset and his biggest flaw is that he has too much loyalty/ faith in players

How's it obvious pal?

I do agree though, Wenger puts in way too much faith in his players. I'm sure he also makes his players believe they're exceptionally good..

I don't want us to get rid of Wenger and then to be in the exact same position because the board/owners will be tight?

In terms of the infrastructure.. What's changed since our good days is David Dein's departure..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by leinad2012

It was Vieira, and you're right in your assessment of Wenger's spending situation. If he spent loads and we went on to win the league, everyone would say "why didn't you do that years ago?".

He wants to do things his way, and will consistently believe in his players and his methods. Any other way of success wouldn't be his. Basically, he's too stubborn.
AFTV is the best.
Original post by SA-1
It would, but what good is that when we can address the problems on the pitch? Getting a new manager, regardless of when it's done will surely mean that we'll take one step back initially (perhaps to take two forwards, idk)

How's it obvious pal?

I do agree though, Wenger puts in way too much faith in his players. I'm sure he also makes his players believe they're exceptionally good..

I don't want us to get rid of Wenger and then to be in the exact same position because the board/owners will be tight?

In terms of the infrastructure.. What's changed since our good days is David Dein's departure..

Posted from TSR Mobile

But perhaps if that happened then there's some benefit in light being brought to the situation? In other words, all these stories about our warchest would disappear and at least questions would be asked. At the moment we're all in the dark.
Original post by ClockEnderAFC
We need a protest similar to Charlton's one today about Kroenke. He is killing our club on and off the pitch.

Just stop going to games and wasting your money, like I did years ago.

No change to the team in all that time, just different faces.
What's Hiddink's plans for next season?

How about Ibra player manager for 2016/17?
Reply 5751
Original post by nase14_aldayz
But perhaps if that happened then there's some benefit in light being brought to the situation? In other words, all these stories about our warchest would disappear and at least questions would be asked. At the moment we're all in the dark.

Such worrying times at the Emirates

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5752
I know I say this every week but our home support is so **** it ****ing makes me sick

ClockEnd is getting worse and worse

Posted from TSR Mobile
If he spent loads and we went on to win the league, everyone would say "why didn't you do that years ago?".

In all honesty I'm worried Wenger won't leave us in the best shape. If he leaves at the end of next season, we'll be realistically needing a new Cb pairing and keeper. And Nacho will be what 31? He'll be near the edge. I'd expect Bellerin and Ozil will have moved on too in all honesty. Plus I read something on another site saying a large number of players contracts run out in that season. It's completely conceivable that if we **** up the next window and don't persuade our best players to stay, we'll be in a worse situation than united, without the finances to **** it up and still be ok.
Reply 5755
Just stop going to games and wasting your money, like I did years ago.

No change to the team in all that time, just different faces.

Absolutely no point in that.

Over half of our home support are ****ing tourists who are more concerned about selfies and ****

Well over 150k on the waiting list for silver memberships

Probably over 100k waiting for season tickets

Absolute ideal position to be in for a business man owning a football club in the heart of London isn't it..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Umbrella627
What's Hiddink's plans for next season?

How about Ibra player manager for 2016/17?

Hiddink has no long term future anywhere due to his age. Ibra with close to zero experience in management would put us down a slide steeper than that of Gary Neville's. PSG would do better shipping him off to Miami and leading Beckham's new club to glory before retiring.
It's comformting to know in 70-80 years, I'll be dead and all this won't matter.
Original post by SA-1

Board won't take that risk. They know Wenger will get you top four with limited spending, but they can never be sure with whoever comes in.
Reply 5759
Original post by Umbrella627
It's comformting to know in 70-80 years, I'll be dead and all this won't matter.

The best time to have a banana is when it is speckled.

Best risk:reward ratio

@swirly - pls explain

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest