The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zerforax
It's a problem all the top clubs are having at the moment. Last summer - Man City could've done with another striker, Chelsea could've done with a better backup to Costa. Liverpool could've done with someone better than Benteke. Spurs wanted another striker to help Kane. Man Utd forked out £60mil on Martial. Arsenal didn't find anyone to buy.

Yeah because Wenger blew it before he can't work the transfer market good enough that's one reason he must go.
Original post by al_94
Yeah because Wenger blew it before he can't work the transfer market good enough that's one reason he must go.

It's an interesting one. Where most owners would give in to media/fan pressure, I think Arsenal/Wenger are the one club which it won't happen. Kroenke and the board value Wenger too much.

Will the pressure get enough which forces Wenger to resign? Perhaps.

Spoiler

Basically Wenger messed up with Higuain.

Original post by Jimmy Seville

Spoiler

Not going to lie that is probably the funniest thing that's ever happened in football, especially when Arsenal fans were saying Arsene will finally beat Mourinho in his 1000th game, it's written in the stars when they then get proceeded to get bent over.Wasn't even a severely weakened team like the 8-2 for United was too.
(edited 8 years ago)
If all you guys think throwing money at transfers is gonna improve us, carry on then. Since the one at the top will retard whoever comes in

1993: Brian Clough left Nottingham Forest in a worse state than when he came in 18 years before, after that they had just one top half finish (or two?) In the top flight before slipping into football league obscurity. I predict our post Wenger era will look roughly the same. One title win followed by years of no CL and even relegation :colone:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Basically Wenger messed up with Higuain.

That's one thing I think is defendable though, cos any manager who had to choose between Higuain and what they thought was Suarez with a 40mil release clause would have an easy decision.

The bigger question is which idiot thought there was such a release clause? Presumably somebody told Wenger that rather than him just imagining it.
Original post by e aí rapaz
That's one thing I think is defendable though, cos any manager who had to choose between Higuain and what they thought was Suarez with a 40mil release clause would have an easy decision.

The bigger question is which idiot thought there was such a release clause? Presumably somebody told Wenger that rather than him just imagining it.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/mar/02/liverpool-john-henry-luis-suarez-clause

Liverpool really should have been taken to court because of this. Saying that what kind of idiot admits there is a release clause like that anyway.

Although Wenger probably should have just got Higuain regardless.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jam277
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/mar/02/liverpool-john-henry-luis-suarez-clause

Liverpool really should have been taken to court because of this. Saying that what kind of idiot admits there is a release clause like that anyway.

Although Wenger probably should have just got Higuain regardless.

I remember all that but I'm skeptical about it. Maybe I just don't want to believe that a club owner could refuse to honour a contract, then brag about it at the AGM, and get away with it.

Anyway at least that summer Wenger actually tried a couple of options, rather than saying there was nobody better than what we have like he does every other year.
Face it Arsenal fans, we're a laughing stock whether or not Wenger is in charge. The rivals know we have no succession plan therefore we are doomed to even more years of mediocrity! Maybe we are capable of one title- winning season before 2020, but don't get your hopes up!
Reply 6229
Original post by SA-1
Tbf, if Wenger is about the one top signing per window thing (Ozil, Alexis, Cech).. then perhaps it'll be a striker in the summer.

I know I'm setting myself up for a disgusting summer though :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

More than likely it'll be a centre back or attacking mid. Wenger has too much faith in Welbeck and Giroud

Original post by SA-1
Ibra's game as never been dependent on pace - which is why he's still that good at this age (..albeit in France - might bottle it here..)

He's for free, we should be all over that - and go for another striker

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, he's performed in more places than just the French league
Xhaka Ramsey Ozil Wilshere Sánchez midfield NEEDED
Reply 6231
What do people think about the rumours regarding us bringing in a coach next season to prepare him to take over the managerial job the season after?

I don't see the point in this, I'd rather we just waited for a big name.
Wenger doesn't buy established players look at even the best clubs in the world like Barca they signed Arda Turan and Bayern signed Douglas Costa. Wenger only bought Cech because he wanted to leave Chelsea he can never take the good players from other clubs so what is even the point of him?
Original post by al_94
Wenger doesn't buy established players look at even the best clubs in the world like Barca they signed Arda Turan and Bayern signed Douglas Costa. Wenger only bought Cech because he wanted to leave Chelsea he can never take the good players from other clubs so what is even the point of him?

Barcelona had their team completed anyway and out of all the positions, only Mascherano is actually replaceable in the starting 11.
Our team is just a big ****ing gloryhole these days. It'll probably be Xhaka in and then thats our business done. Kroenke has Wenger by the balls.
Ozil shutting down the haters

https://twitter.com/mesutozil1088/status/712290491010830337

My hero, my mate.
Ozil's a goner now not a gooner
wait can someone explain to me why we had to pay for a whole new stadium, and West Ham and Spurs are getting 60k stadiums for free :confused:
Original post by al_94
Yeah but i'm talking about now. Give me one name of an established top striker Arsenal can buy?

Why should now matter when this is a problem going on for years?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by swirly
wait can someone explain to me why we had to pay for a whole new stadium, and West Ham and Spurs are getting 60k stadiums for free :confused:

West Ham have taken over a stadium which was built for the Olympics. It would've been a white elephant otherwise just standing around barely being used.

Spurs are paying for their own stadium rebuild as far as I'm aware? Going to cost them like £700mil.

Original post by ozzyoscy
Why should now matter when this is a problem going on for years?

Presumably because context is important?

Latest