The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AliRizzo
Wigan aren't a big team sure but how are you trying to deny it wasn't our biggest game of the season at that point? Lose it and I'm sure Wenger wouldn't have signed a new contract.

It was a big game, not denying but every game in April-May is a big game, especially with 4th well and truly up for grabs with Everton overachieving

You keep mentioning how Giroud was our focal point in our most 'successful' season, but I don't understand why you've labelled it as such. Accumulated our highest points total since 2008 but at the end of the day we still finished 4th. What does that tell you? That the strongest teams in the league won more games than usual, and that a lot of points were taken off the small teams, especially in Arsenal's case. As such, it's no surprise we gained a lot of points, because so did everyone else. It balanced out and we still finished 4th, thereby rendering your main argument redundant. I also wouldn't label a season where we got battered by all of our major rivals away from home 'successful', we couldn't even beat David Moyes' Man Utd for crying out loud. And Giroud was the main striker in all of those games, and had some horrendous misses which eventually cost us. I can remember a few away to Man City, a couple of headers (cough) at Old Trafford, and a glorious chance at the beginning of the game at SB to put us one up.

Arsenal won their first piece of silverware for nine years, recorded a highest total for six years and were only 7 points off the leaders when they'd been 18,11,12,19 and 16 the seasons before. On balance I think it's fair comment.

14/15 was even more successful IMO, and Giroud wasn't the main striker for some big games, including the win at Old Trafford and the FA Cup Final. Again, two of our biggest games of the season. He did play his part brilliantly against Monaco though. 6 shots off target I think it was?

In conclusion, shout out to Aaron Ramsey, our main man of the 13/14 season, and not that big oaf who held us back. 16 goals for Aaron and he could have had a lot more if not for his injury. We collapsed like a pack of cards once he got injured.

Giroud can be inconsistent be he still delivered enough of the time, he held the ball up well for others (including Ramsay) so that they could make runs from him. I'm curious to hear how Giroud held Arsenal back when you had a choice of him Sanogo and Podolski. Surely if anyone held Arsenal back it would be Wenger for not purchasing another striker.
Lukaku is a better player than Giroud. He is nowhere near Lewandowski or Aguero level.
Giroud is the same as Mand,Dzeko and peak Adebayor

We will upgrade sooner or later but atm him+Walcott+Alexis are about OK for a title push
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1224
Original post by jam277
Funnily enough you were berating me for saying this about Ox yet you're saying the same thing... Just saying.

No that wasn't me Jam, I've made the same point 100's of times and every time you've said "Yeah, this".

You're thinking of someone else
Reply 1225
Also get your head sorted out, Giroud was probably receiving death threats for being that ****ing **** in 2014

The whole fanbase (bar Shevchenko) wanted him out.
Original post by Diego Costa
It was a big game, not denying but every game in April-May is a big game, especially with 4th well and truly up for grabs with Everton overachieving

Arsenal won their first piece of silverware for nine years, recorded a highest total for six years and were only 7 points off the leaders when they'd been 18,11,12,19 and 16 the seasons before. On balance I think it's fair comment.

Giroud can be inconsistent be he still delivered enough of the time, he held the ball up well for others (including Ramsay) so that they could make runs from him. I'm curious to hear how Giroud held Arsenal back when you had a choice of him Sanogo and Podolski. Surely if anyone held Arsenal back it would be Wenger for not purchasing another striker.

Fair play. Can only blast Giroud for so much I guess, that's what you expect from a £12m striker but he still misses chances I'm sure a granny could score, and I don't think his reaction helps much either, proper annoys me.

Agree with the Wenger comment too, the blame lies with him and still does to this day if Giroud fails to produce again this season. So far so good though.
Original post by AliRizzo
Fair play. Can only blast Giroud for so much I guess, that's what you expect from a £12m striker but he still misses chances I'm sure a granny could score, and I don't think his reaction helps much either, proper annoys me.

Agree with the Wenger comment too, the blame lies with him and still does to this day if Giroud fails to produce again this season. So far so good though.

Giroud cost £9.6M
Original post by sevchenko
Giroud cost £9.6M

Is that confirmed? I remember BBC Sport saying it was 12m. Oh well even better.
Man City are comeback kings
Hope Sunderland get relegated and we get Rodwell for 500k @ 30k/ week. He should've made enough dough during his career ruining stint at city. Decent enough for around 10 decent appearance per season.
Bournemouth beating United. We're their next "victims" if we don't prepare well.
Have to stop bottling it to sh*t teams like against Norwich and West Brom. Nothing less than a win is acceptable tomorrow.
Original post by ClockEnderAFC
Have to stop bottling it to sh*t teams like against Norwich and West Brom. Nothing less than a win is acceptable tomorrow.

we've got an amazing record away at villa, easy 3 points.
Original post by AR_95
Also get your head sorted out, Giroud was probably receiving death threats for being that ****ing **** in 2014

The whole fanbase (bar Shevchenko) wanted him out.

Add me to that bracket.

Original post by angelfox
we've got an amazing record away at villa, easy 3 points.

You just had to. If this comes back as troll food angelfox just ffs
Reply 1236
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Add me to that bracket.

You just had to. If this comes back as troll food angelfox just ffs

ye but i dont really remember what u say soz
Original post by AR_95
ye but i dont really remember what u say soz

you're nice
easy 3-0 win today, Ozil and Ramsey at #10 and CM is easy stuff
Original post by iamthetruth
Lukaku is a better player than Giroud. He is nowhere near Lewandowski or Aguero level.

obviously! Lukaku is a beast

Latest